We are highly involved in town twinning activity, although we do not have a named town twinning officer. Town Twinning falls within the remit of the Portfolio Holder for Community Engagement and Localism and the Head of Legal, Democatic and Regulatory Services.

Information on Town Twinning

The Civic Officer undertakes many aspects of town twinning on their behalf, and also liaises with the friendship association for each town.

The District Council recently conducted a review of its Town Twinning Strategy. Please click on the following link for the revised version of the Council's Town Twinning Strategy 2013.

We can also award grants towards the cost of town twinning exchanges for incoming and outgoing visits. Grants are normally given to organisations, clubs or groups, rather than to individuals.

For further information on town twinning or grants please contact:

Civic Officer
St Albans District Council
Civic Centre
St Peter's Street
St Albans

01727 819544


The Council of European Municipalities and Regions can provide further information on Town Twinning in Europe and potential funding opportunities.

Please note: We do not organise exchanges between the twin towns, except at a civic (i.e. Council) level. Other exchanges are often organised by the friendship association for each town, or by schools or voluntary organisations.

Date of last review: 17 January 2013