Residents and community groups are invited to attend the annual Community Conference aimed at bringing young and older people together in St Albans City and District.
The Community Conference will take place on Thursday 1 November at the Rothamsted Conference Centre in Harpenden from 10am to 2pm. It is being organised by St Albans and District Strategic Partnership.
The theme for the conference this year is “Bridging the generation gap - celebrating younger and older people in the District”.
Cllr Julian Daly, Chair of the St Albans and District Strategic Partnership and Leader of St Albans City and District Council, said: “This conference is aimed at bringing together residents and community groups to discuss issues emerging in the District and how these may be overcome. This year the conference will help encourage the young and old in the community to work together, share experiences and develop intergenerational understanding.”
The conference will give residents and organisations the opportunity to:
• hear what older and younger people are doing across the District,
• discuss any issues that are emerging in the District; and
• get involved in decisions and projects at a local level.
The conference will also celebrate achievements identified in the Sustainable Community Strategy* over the last 12 months. These include the opening of the information and advice centre and the formation of a Youth Action Group and an Older People’s Forum.
The guest speakers at the conference will include:
• Dr Peter Bonfield, Chief Executive of the BRE group. He will talk about the design of sustainable houses to meet the needs of the young and older people.
• Mr Jim McManus, Director of Public Health, Hertfordshire County Council and NHS Herts, who will give a presentation on health issues.
• Mrs Kate Belinis, Chief Executive, Community Development Agency. She will talk about how community projects can help bridge generational divides.
A key part of the conference will be the ‘Active Listening’ sessions where all delegates will be invited to raise any issues around the following themes:
• economic sustainability,
• inclusion and equalities,
• community safety,
• health and well being,
• environment, and
• young and older people.
The issues highlighted in these sessions will be used to shape the work of the Strategic Partnership over the coming months.
Any community groups are invited to bring to the conference a poster promoting their organisation which will be displayed at the event. The event will include a networking lunch.
Cllr Julian Daly, Chair of the St Albans and District Strategic Partnership and Leader of St Albans City and District Council
Mob: 07775 657200
Contact for the media:
Media and Internal Communications Officer
St Albans City and District Council
Tel: 01727 819317