Residents can visit attractions for free, take part in sports and other activities and sample tasty meal deals during Residents First Weekend on 24 and 25 January.
Keep a look out for your Residents First Weekend brochure that is being distributed to homes in the District. It has been put together by St Albans City and District Council and lists all the offers and events available at visitor attractions, leisure facilities and restaurants. The brochure includes a Residents First Card. To take advantage of the offers, you will need to present your Residents First Card, to participating venues.
Cllr Beric Read, Community Engagement and Localism Portfolio Holder for St Albans City and District Council, said: “Residents First Weekend provides a great opportunity to visit local attractions for free and try out a range of activities and different restaurants at a discount. The Council is keen to support the local visitor economy by inviting you to sample what is on offer and to pass on the word to family and friends. We are distributing the brochure to all households in the District so that everyone can enjoy exploring the area during Residents First Weekend.”
Here are just a few of the offers available to residents on production of a Residents First Card:
Free entry to:
• St Albans Signal Box and Railway Museum, Ridgmont Road, St Albans on Saturday 24 January and Sunday 25 January from 10am to 4pm.
• Radio Verulam, above the Courtyard Café, 11 Hatfield Road, St Albans on Saturday 24 January from 10am to 3pm.
• Redbournbury Watermill, Redbournbury Lane, St Albans on Saturday 24 January from 9am to 1pm and Sunday 25 January from 12 noon to 4.30pm.
• Butterfly World, Miriam Lane (off Noke Lane), Chiswell Green on Saturday 24 January and Sunday 25 January from 11am to 3pm.
• St Albans and District Talking Newspaper, 11 Hatfield Road, St Albans on Saturday 24 January from 10am to 4pm.
• Wheathampstead’s recently restored railway platform at the junction of Station Road and Cory-Wright Way/Codicote Road, Wheathampstead.
Activities and events
• St Albans Museum and Art Gallery Project will be giving an insight into the plans for the Town Hall, St Albans. This will take place in the Court Room at the Town Hall on Sunday 25 January from 11am to 3pm.
• Death and Burial at Verulamium Museum on Sunday 25 January from 3pm – to 3.30pm. A gallery talk provided by St Albans Tour Guides.
• BeauSandVer Writers will be hosting a short story event at the Oxfam Bookshop, Catherine Street, St Albans on Saturday 24 January at 6pm.
• St Albans Cathedral is hosting a range of events across the weekend from tours to a Family Fun Trail.
Leisure centre offers
• 2-for-1 golf and free gym sessions at Batchwood Golf Course and Sports Centre from Monday 19 January to Sunday 25 January.
• Half price on sports hall activity bookings, Youth Gym and Soft Play sessions at Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre on Saturday 24 January and Sunday 25 January.
• Special deal for trial memberships at Harpenden Common Golf Club.
• 2-for-1 gym entry and free tennis court and badminton court hire at Harpenden Sports Centre on Saturday 24 January and Sunday 25 January.
• A free glass of house wine when ordering from the à la carte menu at Freddie’s in Adelaide Street, St Albans during the weekend.
• 2-for-1 on main courses when dining in at Mumtaj, London Road, St Albans from Sunday 25 January to Thursday 29 January.
Cllr Beric Read, Community Engagement and Localism Portfolio Holder
St Albans City and District Council
Tel: 07956 220264
Contact for the media:
Media and Internal Communications Officer
St Albans City and District Council
Tel: 01727 819317
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/StAlbansCouncil
For more information
, please visit the Council’s website or St Albans Tourist and Information Centre, Market Place, St Albans, AL3 5DJ; Tel: 01727 864511, Fax: 01727 863533, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org