Make an application

Printer-friendly page

Most building works need consent under the Building Regulations. There is one application form to apply for consent under the Building Regulations.

Is consent needed?

If you are going to carry out 'building work' (as defined in the building regulations) then it must comply with the building regulations. Often you will need to apply if you want to:

  • Construct a new building or house
  • Extend or alter an existing building
  • Convert a loft space into a room
  • Carry out structural alterations to an existing building (e.g. form a through lounge or remove chimney breast - please note we do not accept gallows brackets)
  • Change the use of an existing building (e.g. converted a house into flats)
  • Install, extend or alter drainage facilities (e.g. a new bathroom or toilet under the stairs)
  • Re-cover a roof structure
  • Install a new wood burning stove or fireplace

To find out if Building Regulations consent is needed or more information check:

You may need other consents or to notify the Health and Safety Executive before you start works:

Please read our Privacy Notice before applying. Once the form is completed, send it to us by email to* or by post with any supporting information* i.e. plans and calculations

We will send you an automatic response confirming receipt. If you have not sent us the fee, we will contact the fee payer (or applicant) for this. This can be a card payment made over the telephone.

*email file sizes and attachments may be restricted at 10MB - please send in batches if 10MB is exceeded

You can pay when you make your application (quoting the address) by:

  • Debit or credit card in our offices
  • Cheque made payable to St Albans City and District Council by post.

If you have had an invoice from us (using the 10 digit reference number on the top of your invoice) you can pay by:

How to make a Building Regulations Application

There are two types of application depending on the scale of work being carried out: 

  • notice of your proposal (Building Notice) 
  • submission of plans for your proposal (Full Plans)

For further information on making a Building Regulations Application (external site)

What happens next?

We will check your application to see if we have all the information we need. 

Once you let us know building work starts we carry out site visits to monitor and give advice as your project progresses.

Please note, if you commence works before we have checked your application or if you have not notified us of your commencement date, you do so at your own risk.

Date of last review: 02 July 2019