Non-Domestic rate payers can seek assistance from agencies and companies to assist with their communications with the council. Our own advice on these options is

Seeking help with NNDR communications

Rate payers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill.
Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge.

Rate payers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS website and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV - website are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Date of last review: 10 March 2015