Community event

Are you considering holding an outdoor event in the St Albans City & District area? With over 150 parks and open spaces administrated by the City, Parish and Town Councils in the District, we are happy to support you to host a wide range of commercial and community events throughout the year including music concerts, fun fairs, cultural events, local fêtes, community activities, sponsored walks, destination markets, sports events and annual city celebrations. 

Whether you are new to organising events in St Albans or returning, the Events team are here to offer practical advice and guidance to help you deliver safe and successful events. First of all, please read the Event Booking Protocol (download below) to ensure you are able to comply with your requirements as an Event Organiser. This guidance has been designed to help you through the outdoor event booking process and to help you plan and prepare for your event. The Protocol signposts you to Council services that can advise you about your event and provide you with the necessary licences and permits & event support where needed. The advice and information contained in the Protocol will lead you through the application process providing notes, guidance and information to assist you in completing the Event Notification Form.

How to prepare an outdoor event

There are 5 steps to applying to hold an outdoor event:

STEP 1: If the event is on Council Land, you must first enquire by email to confirm date and availability 

STEP 2: Complete the Event Notification Form (download below)

STEP 3: Assessment via Safety Advisory Group

STEP 4: Submit supporting documents and deposits

STEP 5: Permission granted

Organising an event can be fun but it is also a time consuming and complex task, so it is important to know what is involved and understand your responsibilities.

We have put together the following toolkits (to download below) to help you plan your event and make it a success!

  • Marketing Toolkit
  • Evaluation Toolkit
  • Parking Guidance
  • Sample Risk Assessment 
  • Parks and Green Spaces audit 

Planning a Residential Street Party?

To have a street party or an event on the highway, you will need to contact Herts County Council to apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation to close the road.

Support to help with planning and paperwork can be found at the local branch of Our Street Party, an independent organisation encouraging communities to play and celebrate together.  

Herts County Council do not charge communities to close residential roads in Hertfordshire for street parties, providing the closure does not affect bus routes. Applications must be received a minimum of 6 weeks before to your event. Completed applications for street party closures must be sent to copying in Please make sure you read the Street Party Conditions carefully before applying for an order. 

Date of last review: 27 March 2018