Your Council Tax bill

Printer-friendly page

Our annual Council Tax bills for the financial year 2019/2020 have been sent to our residents the week commencing the 11th of March 2019.

An annual bill

Unless we already know about a change affecting your bill, your annual bill will be worked out assuming you will live in your property for the whole year, with no changes.

Your annual bill will usually be divided into ten monthly instalments from April to January of the following year. If we have to adjust your Council Tax partway through the year, we will divide your bill over the remaining instalments.

Your Council Tax bill will tell you:

  • The names of the person or persons who are liable to pay council tax
  • The address of the property we are charging you for
  • The valuation band of your property
  • The annual charge for your property
  • The period we are charging you for 
  • Any Council Tax Reduction (formerly Council Tax Benefit), exemption, discount or payments which we have deducted from your bill
  • The amount you have to pay
  • How you can pay your Council Tax instalments.
If you have any questions about your Council Tax bill, or you think you should have received a new bill, please email us at or call us on 01727 819204 or 01727 819205.

If you have received a summons or a reminder letter from our Council Tax team, please ring (01727) 819299.


You can appeal if you think your Council Tax bill is incorrect

How to appeal

You must keep paying your original Council Tax bill while you appeal.

If you wish to make an appeal you should write to us, giving your reasons why you think your bill is wrong to:

The Revenues Service,
St Albans District Council,
Civic Offices, St Peters Street, St Albans, Herts, AL1 3JE

We will look at your account again, and may ask you for more information to help us make our decision. We will make our decision within two months of receiving your letter.

We will either:

  • Decide that your bill is right, and explain our reasons for this
  • Agree that your bill was wrong, and send you a new bill and an explanation of the steps we have taken to correct it.

Appealing our decision

If you still disagree with your bill, or we do not reply within two months, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.  You will need to explain:

  • The decision you are appealing against
  • Why you disagree with our decision

You need to appeal within two months of receiving our reply or within four months of writing to us if we have not replied to you. 

Date of last review: 06 March 2019