Appeal against your Council Tax band

Printer-friendly page

Your property’s Council Tax band is set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).  If you disagree with it, you must contact the Listing Officer at the VOA, not St Albans District Council.  You must keep paying your original Council Tax bill while your appeal is ongoing.

The VOA will be able to explain the reasons why they have given the current Council Tax band to your property.  They will try and resolve your query, and may conduct a more detailed ‘band review’ if they cannot answer your questions straight away.  In some limited circumstances, you can also make a formal proposal to alter the Council Tax list.

For more advice, contact the local VOA office by telephone on 03000 501 501.  You can find your local office address on the Valuation Office Agency website.

If you disagree with a decision by the VOA, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. You can appeal online, and find out more about the appeals process on the Valuation Tribunal website.

The Valuation Office Agency and Valuation Tribunal will tell us if we need to change your Council Tax bill after their decisions.  If your appeal is successful and you have paid too much Council Tax, you will be entitled to a refund.

Date of last review: 09 May 2018