Energy efficiency funding and advice

Printer-friendly page

There are a number of schemes that provide financial support for householders wanting to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. The current schemes and sources of further information are outlined below.

Home Repairs Assistance Grant

The Council provides a Home Repairs Assistance Grant to enable elderly and disabled people to undertake small-scale work so that they can remain in their own home. The maximum grant available is £5,000 and this can go towards works such as energy efficiency improvements, replacement of rotten wood, roof and plumbing repairs, or rewiring. For more details please call the Housing Services Team on 01727 819447 or email

Herts Warmer Homes - Accessing Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Funding

HWH Family PosterThe Herts Warmer Homes Scheme has been launched across Hertfordshire to make it easier for local householders that need it, to access funding to improve the energy efficiency of their home by using Energy Company Obligation (ECO) funding. Energy suppliers are legally obligated to provide support for people on certain benefits, with health conditions, young children or those in cold homes. 

As a Council, our experience is that many households find it difficult to access ECO funding. The Herts Warmer Homes Scheme aims to make it easier for local households to get the help they need. This help could include: 

  • Loft and cavity wall insulation
  • Contribution towards Solid Wall Insulation
  • Boiler repairs
  • Grants for replacement heating systems
Your needs will be assessed as will any grants that may be available to you. In some cases there may be only part-funding available and you will need to make a contribution. 

To refer yourself or someone else to the scheme, please call Herts Help on 0300 123 4044 or email 

What should I ask for if someone offers me support for energy improvements in my home?

If you are approached by a company offering you a grant for energy efficiency in your home, you should check their legitimacy before committing to any works. Always ask for their contact details and any relevant certifications (explained below) and don't be pressured into agreeing for works to be carried out if you aren't 100% sure. You can always call them to arrange an appointment once you've had a chance to check them out.

The trades person responsible for the work should be part of an accreditation body that maintains industry standards. You may wish to check that they are registered with such an organisation. These are some of the organisations involved with accrediting installers (although note that there are others out there):

  • Gas Safe Register Tel: 0800 408 5500

  • National Insulation Association Tel: 01525 383 313

  • CIGA: The Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency Ltd, 3 Vimy Court, Vimy Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 1FG. Tel: 01525 853300

  • SWIGA: The Solid Wall Insulation Guarantee Agency Ltd, 3 Vimy Court, Vimy Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 1FG. Tel: 01525 854977

If you have had an energy efficiency measure installed and have a complaint about the installation, you may also wish to contact one of these accreditation bodies.

You may alternatively wish to contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline as they may be able to provide assistance. Their telephone number is 08454 04 05 06. If you wish to report a problem to Trading Standards, you can mention this to the adviser. Citizens Advice can refer matters to Trading Standards, who in turn decide whether to take on the case.

There have been reports of salesmen cold calling households in the St Albans District, claiming to be working on behalf of the Council to provide grants for insulation or renewable energy. Please note that the Council will never visit your home unannounced and we are not currently working on any schemes of this nature. Should we need to visit your home, we would always provide notice in advance and would provide legitimate identification.

For more information on how to stay safe in your home, visit the Herts Constabulary Advice Page.

Financial support for renewable energy

Information on the Feed-in-Tariff (FIT) and Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is provided on our renewable energy page.

Date of last review: 26 October 2017