Universal Credit                                                                                                                                                     

Important Information from the 1st of November 2017

From the 1st of November 2017 anyone of working age who wants to make a new claim for Housing Benefit will have to claim Universal Credit instead.

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). To apply for Universal Credit, please visit www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

There are some exceptions to this. If you are unsure as to what benefit you should be claiming, please e-mail benefits@stalbans.gov.uk or telephone (01727) 819220 without delay.

If you are a pensioner, you can still claim Housing Benefit from us. 

What benefits might I be entitled to?

You can visit https://stalbans.entitledto.co.uk/ to work out whether you may be entitled to Universal Credit, housing benefit, council tax reduction and any other state benefits or financial help, such as Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credits or Job Seekers Allowance. 

Struggling financially or having difficulty budgeting?

If you need some help sorting out your finances, you can use this free budgeting tool to create your own personal budget plan. It should only take a few minutes to complete if you have all your financial information to hand.

In this section

benefits information Advice and information on benefits

Find out whether you may be entitled to benefits and specific information for students, the self employed, claiming on two homes and more

dont delay applications icon Benefits' applications

Making your claim, appeals and changes in circumstances

General info Benefits publications and policies

Publications to download

no crime Fraud Hotline

How to raise concerns or suspicions in confidence about fraud and corruption which are costing the Council and taxpayer money

CTR scheme Council Tax Support Scheme

St Albans City and District Council Tax Support scheme for 2019/20

stick drawing of house with two windows and one occupant Under Occupation in Social Housing

This may mean that you receive less benefit than you did before, if you have one or more spare bedrooms.

Image of the benefits letter Your benefit letters explained

Once your benefit has been worked out, we'll send you a decision in writing about your benefit entitlement. Read this to understand more about this letter