Finding a home

Printer-friendly page

Housing in St Albans is in high demand and there is a limited amount of both social housing and affordable private rented accommodation.

To resolve your housing difficulties please consider all your options including staying in your current home and renting privately.

Help to stay in your existing home

If you are faced with losing your home, help may be available to resolve the issues, allowing you to remain at your current address.

There are various sources of help for problems you may be encountering - eg  making improvements to your home or solving issues such as dampnoiselandlords, neighbourhood disputes etc.  

Finding a home

If you are faced with homelessness in the next 56 days, please go to our webpage on Homelessness

If you cannot stay where you are, then there are various options available to you. These include moving to a different area where rents may be cheaper or there may be a greater availability of social housing.

You may find The Housing Options Handbook helpful

Private Renting

If you start to save with your local credit union ( if you live in the St Albans District) then after a small period of time you may be able to benefit from a low interest loan to help you with a deposit or first month’s rent. Loans are available for many reasons so please contact them with any questions.

YMCA – There are two YMCA’s in the area, one in Welwyn Garden City and one in Watford. Please visit for further details on the types of accommodation they can offer. Both schemes have a large number of rooms and can offer the use of onsite gyms and restaurants for recreational use and for training purposes. Both schemes can help you find training and employment where necessary.

Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme (RDGS) – This scheme is run by the Council and will guarantee a deposit to a landlord in the private rented sector. This scheme is aimed at families to whom the Council may owe a main duty to under the Homeless legislation. If you are interested as a landlord please call the Private Sector Housing team on 01727 866100 or email

Loan for a Deposit - If you are losing your current accommodation and have a 'priority need' then you may be able to obtain an interest free loan from the Credit Union to cover the deposit and the first month's rent in advance. If you would like to know more about this scheme please contact us on 01727 819355.

Buying a Property - Help to Buy

bpha logo

bpha are delivering the Government's Help to Buy scheme for the St Albans District. There are several products that may help you purchase a property.

What is Help to Buy?
The Government created the Help to Buy scheme to help hard-working people like you take steps to buy your own home.
Whether you are looking to get onto the housing ladder or move up it, there are a number of Help to Buy products designed to make buying a home more affordable, including:

Shared ownership - New build and Re-sales
Depending on how much you can afford, shared ownership allows you to buy a percentage share of a property while a local housing association retains the other share.
It is sometimes known as “part-buy part-rent” because you will then be charged a rental payment on the remaining share owned by the housing association. In most cases shared owners can choose to buy additional shares later on to increase their equity.

Equity loans
The Help to Buy equity loan is designed to help you purchase specific new-build properties priced up to £600,000 from participating registered developers with as little as a 5% deposit. The Government lends you up to 20% of the cost of your new-build home, so you’ll only need to provide a 5% cash deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest. You also won’t be charged loan fees on the 20% loan for the first five years of owning your home.

Want to find out more?
bpha are delivering this service on behalf of the Homes and Communities Agency in the East and South East of England. For more information please visit or call 03333 214044. If you interested in buying in another area please visit to find details of the local Help to Buy agent for that region.

Social Housing

Herts Choice Homes – St Albans City and District Council advertises all its vacancies on this scheme, including both council housing and housing association properties. Registration is on-line at  To qualify for the Housing Register you must have a recognised housing need as well as a local connection.  Our local connection policy can be found on page 11 of our Allocations Policy.

Please call 01727 819355 for further information on this.

Some properties have a local lettings policy. Click here for Bardwell Court, Malthouse Court and Belmont Court. Click here for Blundell Close. Click here for Sparrow Court. Click here for Telford Court. Click here for Thorne House. Click here for Chorister's Court. Click here for Dawson Close.  Click here for Morris Green

Please be aware that the financial limits within the allocations policy have been reviewed. Please contact the Housing Options team for up to date information.

Please see below for some statistics on bidding on Herts Choice Homes

Supported accommodation – there are a number of schemes in St Albans and the surrounding areas that are suitable for people who have some extra support needs but otherwise are capable of independent living. As an example you may need help with budgeting or life skills and these schemes can help with this a well as a variety of other issues. There are some schemes also available to help younger parents prepare for living independently with their children. Please contact the Housing Options Team on 01727 819355 for further information on all of these schemes.

Changes in Circumstances - if you are currently registered with St Albans Council and wish to let us know about a change in your circumstances please download the form below.

Housing Options Service Standard

Date of last review: 03 January 2018