Park Homes and Caravan Sites Information

Printer-friendly page

Applying for a licence

If you think you need to apply for a licence you should approach the Private Sector Housing team at the Council. You should only submit an application once you have planning permission to use the land as a caravan site.  Contact the planning department for further information.

Your application should be accompanied by a lay-out plan of the site to a scale of not less than 1/500. The plan should clearly show:

• all boundaries of the site; 
• the position of the caravans; 
• any roads and footpaths; 
• any foul and surface water drainage; 
• any recreational spaces; 
• any parking spaces; 
• any toilet blocks, stores and other buildings 
• any water points and any fire points.

Once the council has received your application the site will be inspected and the licence issued.  The licence will have conditions attached.  These will include:

• The type of caravan, e.g. residential, static holiday or touring; 
• The permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans; 
• Water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities; 
• Fire precautions and electrical installations; 
• Roads, footpaths, hard standings and parking standards; 
• Administrative requirements.

Conditions will be based on the Model Standards 2008 for Caravan Sites 

Annual Inspections

Once the Council have issued a licence the site will be inspected annually.

Licensing Fees

Private Caravan Site and Mobile Home Park Licensing Fees 2019-20.pdf


If the Council receives complaints about a site we will investigate.

Please note

If you are a caravan site occupier you should have a licence already but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, you should send us the licence for re-issue.

If you have recently become a caravan site occupier licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent for the transfer. You should send us the licence with a request for transfer and we will either endorse or re-issue it.

If you are a potential site occupier you or your legal advisor should check that all the land used for siting caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence.

If you wish to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site use you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

Further information

For more information, please contact the Private Sector Housing team at St Albans District Council, Civic Centre, St Peters Street, St Albans, AL1 3JE, email or telephone 01727 819447. 

Date of last review: 10 May 2019