History

Printer-friendly page
Lee Hall Sopwell Nunnery Ruins Post Card

Sir Richard Lee (c.1513-1575) was a professional soldier and military engineer. He was a friend of King Henry VIII and, following the dissolution of the monasteries in England, Sir Richard purchased the Abbey grounds from St Albans Abbey. He was also granted ownership of the Sopwell Priory by the King and tore down the Priory and built a Tudor house, which he named Lee Hall. The ruins of Lee Hall still survive today on Cottonmill Lane. When Sir Richard Lee died in 1575, he was buried in St Peter's Church, St. Albans.
Additional Information can be found at St Albans Museum

The Allotments are known as Nunnery 1 and Nunnery 2, and over recent years collectively as the Nunnery Allotment Site.  The Nunnery 1 Allotment site was acquired by the then St Albans City Council on 31st April 1940, from Charles Jones of Bedford.  The land was acquired for the purposes of allotments under the Allotment Act 1908 to 1931.

The ruins of Lee Hall and the surrounding land, including the Nunnery 2 Allotment site, was acquired by the City Council on the 29th May 1964 from The Right Honourable John 6th Earl of Verulam.

Date of last review: 26 January 2010