Skip to main content
Text size


Acupuncture, tattooing, piercing and electrolysis Toggle accordion

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Part VIII requires acupuncture, tattooing, piercing and electrolysis to be registered with the council.

The Act requires registration to cover both the person carrying on the practice and the premises used for that purpose. There are no powers to refuse registration, but the practice is controlled through compliance with byelaws in each case.

The applicant must ensure that the procedures, equipment and facilities used are safe, hygienic, prevent the spread of disease and comply fully with the general duty of care required by the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

It is illegal to conduct ear piercing, tattooing, acupuncture or electrolysis unless the registration has been formally approved.

Apply by post

Busking Toggle accordion

Busking or street entertainment is the performance of music, dance or street theatre in a public space for the main purpose of receiving donations of money from members of the public. Buskers or street entertainers are not paid or hired directly for their performance. Busking is a long established tradition which can add to the attractiveness and vibrancy of the city centre. For those living or working in the city centre busking can become the source of annoyance and could become a nuisance.

Please see the Code of Practice here.

Alcohol and Entertainment Toggle accordion

The Licensing Act 2003 aims to promote four key objectives to enable more freedom for business operators and customers; while clamping down on crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour.

The four key objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder

  • Public safety

  • The prevention of public nuisance

  • The protection of children from harm

The objectives are met mainly through the introduction of the following types of licence, a premises licence, club premises certificate, and a personal licence. St Albans Council issues these licences. In addition there are temporary event notices for premises without a licence who wish to hold small events.

Licensing Policy

This highlights the duties we have under the Licensing Act 2003 and is reviewed every three years.

You will need to apply for a licence if you wish to:

  • Sell or supply alcohol

  • Provide regulated entertainment

  • Sell hot food and drink after 11pm

Temporary event notice

Temporary Event Notice (TEN) - if you are running an occasional event that includes any of the above you will need a temporary event notice

Please read before applying
TEN Factsheet

Application form
Apply for a TEN

Apply online
Temporary Event Notice


Personal licence

Personal Licence - if you wish to be a designated premises supervisor you will need a personal licence

Please read before applying
Personal Licence Information

Application forms
Personal Licence Application
Disclosure of Convictions
Personal Licence Change of Name or Address
Copy of a Personal Licence

The fee for a personal licence is £37.

Please note that from 1 April 2015 it is no longer necessary to renew a personal licence. Section 115 of the Licensing Act 2003 has been amended by section 69 of the Deregulation Act 2015, removing the requirement to renew personal licences.

Premises licence

Premises licence - if you wish to carry out any of the above on a permanent basis, such as a business you need a premises licence

Please read before applying
Premises Licence Guidance
Privacy Notice

Application forms
Premises Licence Application Form
Application to Vary Premises Licence
Application to Transfer Premises Licence
Copy of Premises Licence

Premises Licence

If you wish to carry out any of the above on a permanent basis, such as a business you will need a premises licence

Apply online

All applications should be sent to 


Making Representations Toggle accordion

Representations should be made in writing to the licensing authority where the premises are situated. St Albans Council will also accept representations by email to The interested party must ensure they include their name, address and contact details, if making a representation by email.

Please be aware that the Licensing Act 2003 requires all parties that wish to make a representation against an application ensure that their name and addresses are included in the letter of representation to make it valid.

All representations must be about the likely effect of granting the licence or certificate on the promotion of at least one of the four licensing objectives. It would be wise, therefore, to explicitly link any representation to one or more of the objectives which are listed below:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

Objectors’ personal information (e.g. names, addresses and contact details) will be shared, as per the regulations, with the applicant. All letters/emails will be put out into the public domain and be viewed on our website. Personal data (e.g. names, addresses and contact details) of objectors will be redacted before copies are placed on the website.  Any personal data contained in the body of the letter/email will remain in the representation.

Licensing Representation form

It will also assist if the representations are specific to the premises and evidence based. Interested parties may, therefore wish to talk to local police beforehand, or document problems themselves by, for example, keeping a diary or photographic evidence of any incidents.

Licensing authorities will need to be satisfied that there is an evidential and causal link between the representations made, and the effect on the licensing objectives.

In addition, the licensing authority can only consider representations that are not “vexatious” or “frivolous”.

What does a frivolous or vexatious representation mean?

“Frivolous” or “vexatious” will bear their ordinary meaning. Whether representations are frivolous or vexatious will be for the licensing authority to determine. For example, the licensing authority might find the representations were vexatious if they arise because of disputes between rival businesses or they might be frivolous representations if they plainly lacked seriousness.

Interested parties cannot make representations anonymously, even if somebody else (eg. a local MP or councillor) is making the representation on their behalf. This is because, for example, the licensing authority needs to be satisfied that the person making the representation is not being vexatious.

It is also important that an applicant is able to respond to a representation, for example, if they believe that it isn’t a “relevant” representation. If interested parties are concerned about possible intimidation, they could consider asking the police, or another appropriate responsible authority to make a representation on their behalf.

Things you may want to consider when making representations

  • If no relevant representations are made, the licence or variation must be granted (subject to the mandatory conditions).
  • It may be helpful to get the backing of other people living, or businesses operating in the vicinity of the premises, or other “responsible authorities”, such as the police or environmental health.
  • If you are thinking of raising a petition, it is important to ensure that the licensing authority can determine whether all the signatories are within the ‘vicinity’ of the premise. So, including their addresses and indicating clearly what representation(s) they are all making would be helpful. It would also help if a spokesperson could volunteer to receive details about the hearings etc. from the licensing authority and may be willing to speak on behalf of the petitioners at the hearing.
  • If you want to ask another person, such as an MP or local Councillor to represent you, it is advisable to make such a request in writing so that the individual can demonstrate he or she was asked. It will be a matter for the MP or Councillor to decide whether they should agree to your request.
    They are not obliged to do so, however, most elected representatives are happy to help residents with this sort of issue, and there is no requirement for them to live in the vicinity of the premises in question for them to be able to make representations on behalf of residents that do.
    Councillors who are part of the licensing committee hearing the application will not be able to enter into discussions with you about the application, outside of the formal hearing, so it is suggested that you do not approach them to try to.
  • Consider how you would like the situation to be rectified

What happens after a representation has been made?

If the licensing authority considers that the representations are relevant (ie are from an interested party and are not frivolous or vexatious), it must hold a hearing to consider those representations - unless all parties can come to an agreement beforehand, and agree that a hearing is unnecessary. For example, the licensing authority may offer to try and resolve matters via a negotiated agreement outside a formal hearing. You will need to decide if this is appropriate for you, but you can, of course, insist upon the hearing.

The licensing authority will write to you to inform you of the date and time of the hearing and will explain the format of the hearing.

If an applicant withdraws their application after a hearing date has been arranged, the licensing authority will let them know that the hearing has been cancelled. Interested parties should be aware that if they make representations about an application that is later withdrawn, and the applicant makes a new, amended application, their representations will not automatically be taken forward.

Any amended application would need to be re-advertised as set out above. Interested parties will then have the opportunity to decide whether to make representations about the new application

Licensing Committee Hearings

Interested parties that made representations are required to give notice to the licensing authority at least 5 working days before the start of the hearing, stating:

  • Whether they will attend the hearing in person
  • Whether they will be represented by someone else (eg councillor / MP / lawyer)
  • Whether they think that a hearing is unnecessary (if, for example they have come to an agreement before the formal hearing)
  • If they want another person to appear at the hearing (not to represent them), a request for permission for the person to attend, and details of their name and how they may be able to assist the authority in relation to the application

Interested parties must let the licensing authority know as soon as possible (by a notice no later than 24 hours before the start of a hearing, or orally at the hearing) if they wish to withdraw their representation.

Hearings will generally be held in public, unless the licensing authority decides it is in the public interest to hold all, or part of the hearing in private. The licensing authority shall ensure that a record is taken of the hearing. You can download the agenda and minutes of the Licensing Sub-Committee meetings from our Council Meetings page.

Hearings will normally take the form of a discussion and will be led by the licensing authority, which will consist of 3 local authority elected councillors (this will be the licensing sub-committee drawn from a full licensing committee of 15 councillors).

The licensing authority will explain the procedure to be followed. It will determine any request for additional persons to appear at the hearing. It will consider evidence produced in support before the hearing and can consider evidence produced by a party at the hearing, but only if all parties agree.

Further evidence can also be produced if this was sought for clarification of an issue by the authority before the hearing. Cross-examination of one party by another during a hearing is not allowed, unless the licensing authority thinks it necessary.

The parties are entitled to address the authority and will be allowed equal time to address the authority and, if they have been given permission by the authority to do so, they will be given equal time to ask any questions of any other party. The authority will disregard any information it considers to be irrelevant.

NB - A hearing can still go ahead in the absence of any party (eg applicant or interested party).

Hearing Decisions

As a result of the hearing, the licensing authority must then decide how to proceed in order to promote the licensing objectives. It may:

  • Decide to grant or vary the licence in the same terms as it was applied for
  • Decide that it is necessary to refuse to issue or vary the licence
  • Decide to grant or vary the licence, but to modify the conditions
  • Exclude from the scope of the licence a licensable activity
  • In the case of a premises licence, refuse to specify a person as the premises supervisor

Licensing Authorities must give notice of its decision within 5 working days (if it does not give a decision at the hearing) and include information on the right of a party to appeal against the decision.

Contact details

You can send in your representation by post or email to:

Licensing Team
St Albans Council
Civic Centre
St Peters Street
St Albans

Tel 01727 819541


Licence Review Applications Toggle accordion

The Licensing Act provides a mechanism for interested parties, responsible authorities and club members to ask for a premises licence or club premises certificate to be reviewed. The same category of people who may object to a licence being granted or varied may apply for a review.

On what grounds can I ask for a review?

The request for the review of a premises licence or club premises certificate must be under one or more of the licensing objectives, which are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder;

  • public safety;

  • prevention of public nuisance; and

  • the protection of children from harm.

How do I ask for a licence to be reviewed?

Complete the application form carefully, providing as much detail to support your application. Send the original to us and send a copy of it to:

  • the premises licence holder or the club

  • each of the responsible authorities

  • You should also keep a copy for your records.

What happens then?

We will consider your application. For interested parties only - if the grounds for review are considered frivolous, vexatious or repetitious, or have already been considered we can refuse to review the licence. If this happens, we will tell you the reasons why.

If your application is accepted, we'll advertise that the licence is to be reviewed, other interested parties and responsible authorities will have 28 days to make representations.

At the end of that period, a hearing will be held before a licensing Sub-Committee within 20 working days to consider any representations.

The licence holder(s) and any other people making representations will be invited to attend.

Club Premises Certificate Toggle accordion

If you are a registered club and you wish to carry out any of the above activities you will need a club premises certificate

Clubs are organisations where people have joined together for particular social, sporting or political purposes and then combined to buy alcohol in bulk as members of the organisation to supply in the club.

Only qualifying clubs may hold club premises certificates which means they must have at least 25 members and met a set of conditions. Qualifying clubs should not be confused with proprietary clubs, which are clubs run commercially by individuals, partnerships or businesses for profit. These require a premises licence and are not qualifying clubs.

The arrangements for applying for or seeking to vary club premises certificates are extremely similar to those for a premises licence. Clubs may also use the minor variations process to make small changes to their certificates so long as these could have no adverse impact on the licensing objectives.

Apply online

Apply by post


Animal Welfare and Business Licences Toggle accordion

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018

From the 1st of October 2018, The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals)(England) regulations 2018 come into force.

These Regulations will update and make changes to the current animal licensing regime.

The new Regulation has now incorporated animal related licensable activities under one licence.

These Regulations provide for the licensing of persons involved in England in:

  • Selling animals as pets (Pet Shops)

  • Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs (Kennels/Catteries/Doggy day care/ Homeboarding dogs)

  • Hiring out horses (Riding schools and specified liveries) 

  • Breeding dogs 

  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition

There will be new conditions that will apply to licences

  • a set of general conditions that apply to all licences and

  • a set of specific conditions that will apply to specific animal activity

It is necessary to comply with both sets of conditions.

Defra has produced guidance documents to help current or prospective licence holders understand what will be required of them under the new legislation. Please refer to the guidance documents below for more information on the changes.

We advise that you read the regulations and procedural guidance documents (a and b) below:

Fee Information

The relevant licence fee is due when you submit your application. This fee covers all costs associated with determining the licence application including administration and the main inspection fee where your premises is rated. Please note the fee is non-refundable should we refuse your application.

The fee does not include the unannounced compliance visit, which is a mandatory requirement during the length of your licence period for each licensable activity.

Please refer to the table below for the fee breakdown.

Below are links to download the guidance notes relevant to your specific activities:

How to Apply

For new applicants and renewals, download and complete the relevant form(s) below.

Please note: If you are carrying out more than one activity, please download the additional form(s) and attach together.

When you have completed and signed your application, you can submit this with the relevant accompanying documents by post to:

St Albans City & District Council
Civic Centre
St Peters Street
St Albans

A clear electronic copy of your application can also be submitted to:

Please also ensure that a payment is made for your application. The application cannot be processed until the relevant fee has been submitted. 

Documents to help with your application

Frequently Asked Questions

Further documents you may find useful

There are no changes to Dangerous Wild Animals Licences or Zoo Licences as they are governed under different legislation. (The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 and the Zoo Licensing Act 1981).

Dangerous Wild Animals Toggle accordion

You must hold a licence from us if you wish to keep a dangerous wild animal (other than at a licensed zoo or specialist pet shop, a circus or a scientific institution), under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

The wild animals covered by the Act require extremely specialised care and accommodation, and the licensing process ensures that both the animal's welfare and the safety of the keeper and the wider public will be protected. 

You can find the list of animals for which a licence is required on the website.

Applying for a licence

Contact the Council's Licensing department if you wish to make an application. Please email details to

Zoo Licence Toggle accordion

A “zoo” is defined as “an establishment where wild animals are kept for exhibition to the public” (save for a circus and pet shop).

Zoo Licensing Act 1981

Under s1 of the Zoo Licensing Act 1981 it is unlawful to operate a zoo (to which the Act applies) except under the authority of a licence issued under this Act.

A “zoo” is defined as “an establishment where wild animals are kept for exhibition to the public” (save for a circus and pet shop). The Act defines “wild animals” as “Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, Pisces and Insecta” which covers all multi- cellular organisms that are not a plant or fungus. To be considered “wild” for the purposes of the Act, the animal has to be one not normally domesticated in Great Britain. The DEFRA Guide provides some guidance on what animals will be considered “wild”. It is best to consider those that fall outside this definition are limited to animals such as horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, ferrets, rabbits, pigeons/doves, chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, chinchillas, alpacas, llamas, budgies, canaries, and other domesticated birds and fish.

For a zoo to fall within the remit of the Act it has to be open to the public, with or without a charge, for seven or more days in any year. There are exemptions available for some small zoos from some or all of the requirements of the Act.

All zoos are required by the Act to undertake “conservation measures”. These are listed below. Zoos must carry out one of these:

  • Research from which conservation benefits accrue to species of wild animals;
  • Training in relevant conservation skills;
  • Exchange of information relating to the conservation of species of wild animals;
  • Where appropriate breeding of wild animals in captivity;
  • Where appropriate the repopulation of an area with, or the introduction into the wild of, wild animals;

Zoos must also carry out all of the following

  • Promoting public educations and awareness of biodiversity
  • Accommodating their animals under conditions which aim to satisfy the biological and conservation requirements of the species
  • Preventing the escape of animals
  • Preventing the intrusion of pests and vermin into the zoo premises
  • Keeping up to date records of the zoo’s collection.
  • The Council will attach conditions to the licence to reflect these requirements.

Applying for a Licence

The process for applying requires an applicant to submit to the Council a written notice of intention to apply for a zoo licence. This notice must be served at least two months’ before an application is submitted. In this notice there must be a statement setting out how the applicant intends to meet the conservation requirements. As part of the notification process the applicant must also publish a notice of intention in one local and one national newspaper. The applicant must also display a copy of the published notice at the zoo premises. The Council must make the notice of intention available for inspection at the Council Offices free of charge during reasonable hours.

There is no duty to consult within the Act; however, the Council must consider the representations made by:

  • The applicant;
  • The Police Constabulary;
  • The Fire Authority;
  • National institution governing zoos [Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA);
  • Where the zoo is partly in another area that area’s planning authority;
  • Any person alleging that the establishment or continuance of the zoo would injuriously affect the health or safety of persons living in the neighbourhood of the zoo;
  • Any other person whose representations might in the opinion of the Council show grounds on which the authority has a power or duty to refuse to grant a licence.

An initial licence lasts for four years and is renewable, with subsequent licences lasting six years.

Gambling Act 2005 Toggle accordion

The ability of the council to regulate gambling activities in St Albans provides an opportunity for the council and its partners to have a more direct influence on the determination of licence applications.

Residents who are, or who could be, affected by premises providing gambling now have more an opportunity to influence decisions that affect them. The council also works with others to protect children and vulnerable people from being harmed or exploited by gambling activities.

What is Gambling?

Gambling is not specifically defined but includes gaming, betting or taking part in a lottery.

Gaming means playing a game for the chance to win a prize.

A lottery is where participants are involved in an arrangement where prizes are allocated wholly by a process of chance.
Betting means:

  • making or accepting a bet on the outcome of a race, competition or other event
  • the likelihood of anything occurring or not occurring
  • whether something is true or not


The responsibility for regulating gambling within St Albans is shared between the Gambling Commission and the Council.

The Gambling Commission is responsible for issuing operating licences to organisations and individuals that provide facilities for gambling and personal licences to persons working in the gambling industry.

The Commission takes the lead role for ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way through the administration and enforcement of operating and personal licence requirements. The Commission is also responsible for remote gambling activities such as facilities provided via the Internet, television or radio.

St Albans District Council has responsibility for issuing licences to allow premises to be used for gambling.  The types of premises that require authorisation from the council includes:

  • casinos
  • bingo halls
  • betting shops
  • amusement arcades
  • pubs

The Council also issue permits to pubs/clubs for gaming machines and gaming (clubs only).  The Council regulate small society lotteries.

Statement of Principles/ Gambling Policy

St Albans District Council is the Licensing Authority under the provisions of the Gambling Act 2005 and responsible for the administration and enforcement of Premises Licences and Permits under the Act.

Under the Gambling Act 2005, the Local Authority must prepare a written Statement of Principles, and have regard to the guidance issued by the Gambling Commission. This Statement of Principles sets out how the council will carry out its licensing functions with a view to promoting the three licensing objectives:

  • Preventing gambling being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and
  • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling

The Gambling Act contains provisions setting out the procedure for the authorisation of the use of premises for any of the following gambling activities:

  • Bingo

  • Betting shop

  • Tracks (Race)

  • Adult Gaming Centre (AGC)

  • Family Entertainment Centre (FEC)

  • Small Society Lotteries

  • Casino Premises Licence

  • Temporary Use Notices

and the use of gaming machines in conjunction the following permits:

  • Club Gaming Permit

  • Club Machine Permit

  • Alcohol Licensed Premises (Gaming Permit)

  • Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre (uFEC)  

Consultation on Gambling Statement of Principles

The Act requires the Council to publish its Statement of Principles every three years and carry out a consultation on those principles. The policy was last revised in 2022 and should be revised every 3 years.

Gambling Act 2005 - Guidance on Local area profiles for St Albans City & District Council

The Gambling Commission’s 5th Edition of the Guidance recommends that Licensing Authorities complete their own assessment of local risks and concerns by developing local area profiles (LAPs) to help shape their statements.  Although there is no statutory requirement on the licensing authority to have LAP Guidance it is considered good practice.  Therefore St Albans District Council propose to use LAP Guidance.  This means that anyone wanting to operate in the District will need to consider the local area profile when making their application.
As we have very few gambling premises in the District, we have kept the LAP Guidance simple.  In the two page Guidance (attached) we set out what we expect operators who want to run gambling premises in our District to include in their applications. The Local Area Profile can be found in the policy as appendix A.

Applying For a Licence

If you would like to apply for a premises licence, the application forms are below.

For a list of fees for all premises licences and permits under the Gambling Act, please click on the downloadable document

Responsible Authorities

For a list of Responsible Authorities, please download the document below: 

Contact Details

Licensing, Regulatory Services, St Albans District Council, Civic Centre, St Albans, Herts AL1 3JE
Tel: 01727 819454 Email:

Gambling Commission, Victoria Square House Victoria Square Birmingham B2 4BP
Tel: 0121 230 6666, Fax: 0121 230 6720 Email:

For further information:

A copy of the revised statement of principles can be found below.

Gambling and Lottery Licences Toggle accordion

The Government reformed the law on gambling; under the Gambling Act 2005 local authorities have a range of new responsibilities related to gambling.

These include licensing any premises used for gambling, regulating the use of gaming machines and the playing of games such as poker in pubs and clubs, and granting permits to certain types of amusement arcades.  The Gambling Commission is responsible for advising local authorities on these functions.

Gaming Machine Permits

The Gambling Act 2005 introduces permits for gambling which are granted by the Council. These permits will be required when premises provide a gambling facility but gambling is not the main function of the premises. These permits regulate the use of gaming machines in specific premises.

Who can apply for a gaming machine permit?

Premises licensed under the Licensing Act 2003 for consumption of alcohol on the premises, which provide alcohol without a condition that alcohol is served only with food can apply for a gaming machine permit.

What am I entitled to?

For these premises there is an automatic entitlement to two machines of category C or D under the Act subject to:

  • notifying the licensing authority in writing of your wish to use this entitlement,
  • paying the prescribed fee of £50
  • complying with any relevant code of practice issued by the Gambling Commission.

There is no annual fee.  However, when the alcohol premises licence is transferred to a new owner, then a new written notification is necessary together with a further £50 fee.

Is there an annual fee?

There is an annual fee of £50 for more than two machines, but not for two or less machines.

Can I have more than two machines?

Applications can be made for a licensed premises gaming machines permit, which allows for further category C or D machines to be made available in alcohol licensed premises.  The limit of additional machines will be determined by the Licensing Team  for up to three machines and a sub committee for more than three machines.

What are the fees for two or more machines?

New applicant 


Variation to a permit




Transfer of a permit


How long does the permit last?

The permit application and notification must be made in the premises licence holders name and last as long as premises licence remains in that name. The permit is subject to an annual fee.

Can I have machines in a takeaway/taxi office/shop/café or similar?

From 1 August 2006, fruit machines began to be phased out from premises whose main purpose is not the sale/supply of alcohol. This is to ensure that children and other vulnerable people are not exposed to gambling in certain non-gambling premises

How do I Apply?

Send a copy of the application form below, along with the fee to the Licensing Team in Regulatory Services.
St Albans District Council, Civic Centre, St Albans, Herts AL1 3JE
Tel: 01727 819454 Email:

Club Gaming Permits and Club Machine Permits

The following information is relevant to:

  • holders of Club Premises Certificates under the Licensing Act 2003
  • persons who are considering setting up a club and also offering gaming or gaming machines to members of that club

There are two kinds of club permits under the Gambling Act 2005; Club Gaming Permits and Club Machine Permits:

Club Gaming Permits

Club gaming permits may be granted to members' clubs and miners' welfare institutes (but not commercial clubs), to authorise the use of up to 3 machines in total including category B3A, B4, C or D gaming machines.  However they can only include one B3A machine. They can also carry out  equal chance gaming and games of chance as described in the Gambling Commission Guidance.

Applicants must have an operators licence issued by the Gambling Commisson 

The permit costs £200.00 and will have effect for 10 years and may then be renewed. There is an annual fee of £50.
The application form can be downloaded below, a copy of this application must be sent to the Gambling Commission 

Club Machine Permits

If a club does not wish to have a club gaming permit or if they are a commercial club not permitted to provide non-machine gaming, they may apply for a club machine permit.  This authorises the use of up to three category B4, C or D gaming machines.

The permit costs £200.00 and will have effect for 10 years and may then be renewed. There is an annual fee of £50.

Holders of club gaming permits or club machine permits should have regard to the Code of Practice issued by the Gambling Commission. The Code of Practice makes reference to conditions for the location and operation of machines and also best practice for self exclusion and for access to gambling by children and young persons.

How do I apply?

Send a copy of the application form below, along with the fee to the Licensing Team in Regulatory Services.
St Albans District Council, Civic Centre, St Albans, Herts AL1 3JE
Tel: 01727 819454 Email:


Small Society Lottery Registration - New Registrations

If you wish to apply to operate a Small Society Lottery you must register under the Gambling Act 2005 with the District Council.  The society must pay a fee for any new application of £40 and the annual fee yearly of £20 if you wish the registration to continue.

Society Lottery

Section 19 of the Act defines a society as non-commercial if it is established and conducted

  • for charitable purposes
  • for the purpose of enabling participation in, or in supporting, sport, athletics or a cultural activity, or
  • for any other non-commercial purpose other than that of private gain.

Small Lottery

The proceeds from one lottery must not exceed £20,000 or the total income from all the lotteries run by the organisation must not exceed £250,000 in a calendar year. If the operator plans to exceed these values they will be classified as a large lottery and must be licensed by the Gambling Commission.

Limits placed on small society lotteries

The limits are as follows:

  • at least 20% of the lottery proceeds must be applied to the purposes of the society (schedule 11, paragraph 33)
  • no single prize may be worth more than £25,000 (schedule 11, paragraph 34)
  • rollovers between lotteries are only permitted where every lottery affected is also a small society lottery promoted by the same society, and the maximum single prize is £25,000 (schedule 11, paragraph 35), and
  • every ticket in the lottery must cost the same and the ticket fee must be paid to the society (i.e. the society must take payment) before entry into the draw is allowed. (schedule 11, paragraph 37).


The promoting society of a small society lottery must, throughout the period during which the lottery is promoted, be registered with the local authority. The form to register a non-commercial society is below.


There is a requirement to provide annual returns to the Licensing Team, please see below.

Some other activities such as raffles and sweepstakes are lotteries but they will be exempt providing they comply with the criteria, the links below provide some more information: 


Licensing, Regulatory Services, St Albans District Council, Civic Centre, St Albans, Herts AL1 3JE
Tel: 01727 819454 Email:
For further information:

Public Register Toggle accordion

Please visit the Public Register Of Licences And Registrations

We are in the process of changing systems, this has disrupted the information held on the public register. If you would like to view information about a licence please send your request to

Sexual entertainment venue Toggle accordion

The Council has a number of powers to control the number and location of lap dancing clubs and similar venues in the area. In 2010, the Council resolved a ‘nil’ policy for Sexual Entertainment Venues and Licences in line with the ‘nil’ policy for Sex Establishments and Sex Cinemas . This means that applications will not generally be deemed to be appropriate.  However, as always with Planning related matters, each application will be dealt with on its merits.

The forms of 'relevant' entertainment commonly understood to be connected with Sexual Entertainment Venues are (though this is not a comprehensive list):

  • Lap dancing
  • Pole dancing
  • Table dancing
  • Strip shows
  • Peep shows
  • Live sex shows

There is an exemption for premises where the sexual entertainment is provided infrequently, i.e. not more than eleven occasions in a twelve month period.

You can now apply on line for sexual entertainment venues and if you wish to do so please read the documentation below.

Pavement Licensing Toggle accordion

St Albans City and District Council have taken over the responsibility of licensing tables and chairs on the highway, (pavement licensing), from the County Council’s Hertfordshire Highways.

The two authorities have jointly drawn up a policy which provides a consistent approach to the issuing of licences which will allow furniture such as tables and chairs to be placed upon pavements.

Having adopted the policy, the District Council’s licensing team have application forms and guidance notes which can be downloaded below or obtained by e-mailing or ringing 01727 819542.

Premises that place tables and chairs on pavements within the district, are invited to apply for pavement licences.


  • The licensing of tables and chairs on the highway falls under the Highways Act 1980 Section 115E.

  • At the moment A boards are still the responsibility of Herts Highways.


Street Trading Consents Toggle accordion

What do we do?

  • ensure street trading activities are properly licensed

  • deal with unlicensed street traders

Street Trading

Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street; this includes food, such as artisan bread or a creperie, flowers, arts and crafts etc.

Food traders must be registered with their local Environmental Health Office.

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under a licence issued by the Police

  • A market trader operating at a licensed market

  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals (other matters are taken into consideration such as stalls /receptacles which could result in an exemption not applying)

The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Council's Planning Office by email at

Illegal Street Trading

Anyone wishing to trade in streets under the control of St Albans District Council must obtain a Street Trading Consent.

Anyone found trading in designated consent streets without first obtaining a street trading consent will be committing an offence punishable on conviction by a fine. The term street includes any road, footway or other area to which the public have free access without payment, and also a service area. It also includes part of a street. Some streets are prohibited.

Related Documents

Detailed information regarding the following matters is available in the Street Trading Policy below:

  1. What is not deemed to be street trading

  2. The definition of “street” ,“consent street” and “prohibited street”

  3. A list of the prohibited streets

  4. The consultation period and who we consult with on applications

  5. Details of the different types of consents (static/mobile)

  6. How long the consent lasts and a list of fees

Contact Us

More information and advice is available from Licensing - Tel: 01727 819542 email

Contact us

More information and advice is available from Licensing - Tel: 01727 819542 email