Skip to main content
Text size

Leaving the European Union

Woman in factory

What action do you need to take?

The UK has left the European Union. The UK and the European Union agreed a deal at the end of 2020, which was finalised in 2021 - read the treaty on the Gov.UK website

You most likely need to take action even if don’t import or export goods.

If you answer yes to any of the questions below, use the ‘checker’ tool at to get a personalised list of actions, and visit the Hertfordshire Better Business for All EU Transition page for specific guidance on actions businesses need to take and the support they can receive from Hertfordshire Local Authority regulators: Trading Standards and Environmental Health.

  • Do you import or export to the EU?
  • Do you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
  • Do you have EU suppliers? (your distributors may use EU suppliers)
  • Do you manufacture or sell CE marked products?
  • Do you operate in a sector with specific changes, for example cosmetics and food businesses? (check your sector)
  • Do you deliver business services to EU markets or travel for business? (including pet travel)
  • Do you hold EU customer personal data?
  • Do you employ people from outside the UK?

Specific support for Hertfordshire organisations

Here’s how Hertfordshire organisations can help your business with the EU Transition:

  • Hertfordshire Trading Standards is responsible for ensuring certain products placed on the market are safe and labelled correctly.  This includes food and animal feed products and products that must meet specific safety standards.  Hertfordshire Trading Standards is supporting local businesses by ensuring that they are kept up to date with legislative changes and can continue to place compliant products on the market. Trading Standards Business Advice Line: 01707281401
  • Hertfordshire Growth Hub and their EU Transition Advisors can support businesses by:
    • Keeping you up-to-date with transition news and updates
    • Providing guidance that is tailored specifically for your business sector
    • Working with you to understand what exactly EU transition means for your business
    • Supporting you to access a host of fully funded support programmes delivered by Hertfordshire Growth Hub and our Partners
    • Visit to view ‘News and Blogs’ and register or sign in to visit our Knowledge Bank articles
  • Environmental Health teams at your local council are responsible for the hygiene and safety of food, Health and identification marks and Health Certificates. They are supporting local businesses by ensuring that they are kept up to date with legislative changes and can continue import and export safe food from the EU. St Albans City and District Council's Environmental Health Team can be contacted at:

    Useful web links

    The European Union Settlement Scheme

    What is the European Union Settlement Scheme?

    If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

    The EEA includes the EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. See here for details.

    You may be able to stay in the UK without applying. For example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.

    How to apply

    Full details about the EU settlement scheme can be found on the government website. If you need support with your application then Citizens Advice can provide advice and assistance.

    Apply Here

    The deadline for applying for most people was 30 June 2021. You can still apply if that deadline did not apply to you, or you have ‘reasonable grounds’ for not applying by the deadline.

    Sector specific advice

    For advice on specific sectors, please see below: 

    Farming Sector guidance
    Food and Drink sector guidance

    For other sectors, find out how new Brexit rules apply to things like travel and doing business with Europe on the Brexit guidance page on Gov.UK: