Skip to main content
Text size


Universal Credit has started to replace Housing Benefit for most working-age claimants. This means if you need help with your rent and you are below pensionable age you will now need to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit.

There are some exceptions to this – please visit the GOV.UK website to find out if you need to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and not St Albans City & District Council.

Household Support Scheme. 

The Department of Work and Pension's 'Household Support Scheme', which was recently announced, will be administered by Hertfordshire County Council and not St Albans District Council. The Household Support Scheme will be available to help people with things like food and utility bills this winter. Click the button on the right for more information. 

Self Isolation Payments: 

If you are on a low income, have been told by the NHS to self isolate because of COVID-19,  
are unable to work from home and are going to suffer a decrease in your income because
of this, you may be entitled to a payment of £500. 

Housing Benefit

If you are of pension age you need to claim Housing Benefit by applying to us

Help with your rent

Council Tax

If you need help with your Council Tax, you will need to claim Council Tax Support from us.

Council Tax Support

Benefit fraud

Benefit fraud is taking public money that could be spent on other vital services and can affect how much Council Tax you have to pay. Help us tackle this – if you suspect benefit fraud report it online at the GOV.UK or by phone on 0800 854 4400 (Monday to Friday, between 8am and 6pm).

Benefits news

Do you need to report an issue or apply for a service?

All our online services are accessed through your MyStAlbans account