A parking place suspension temporarily reserves the bay for a particular purpose, and it is shown by a yellow sign erected on the nearest signpost. Parking Suspensions are often used to enable essential highway maintenance, utilities works, or home removals and every application is considered on its individual merits.
If an unauthorised vehicle proceeds to park in the suspended area, an officer will issue the vehicle a Penalty Charge Notice, but we do not have the facilities to remove the vehicle.
The fee for suspending a parking place is £30 per day plus an administrative fee of £22. The administrative fee is non-refundable.
To apply for a Suspension you will need to create a Customer Account for a Resident or Business, if you have not already done so. If you already have an account, you will not need a seperate one. This is only required the first time you apply. Any additional applications can be made from your account. To see how to create an account, please check out our FAQ section.
Terms and Conditions Toggle accordion
Parking Suspension Terms and Conditions
- Applications should be made at least 10 days prior to the start date of the parking suspension.
- An administration fee is charged for each type of parking bay suspended (resident bay or car club bay for example).
- A space may be suspended for a maximum of 6 months.
- If more than 3 car spaces are to be suspended, you will be required to carry out a letter drop to local residents.
- If you intend to use the parking space for a skip or building materials, you will require an additional licence from Hertfordshire County Council to allow you to place those items on the public highway.
- Parking suspensions cannot be used for convenience parking. The registration details for vehicles authorised to use the suspension can be added through your suspension account.
- Suspensions cannot be considered in areas that are not controlled.
- Disabled bays and car club bays will only be suspended in exceptional circumstances.
- While priority is given to the enforcement of parking suspensions, this is dependent on available resources at the time and only between 8.15am and 6.45pm.
- We cannot guarantee that a space will be free and do not accept liability for any additional costs that you may incur due to obstructions. The Council are unable to remove vehicles from suspended bays as we do not have removal vehicles to facilitate this. However, we can issue Penalty Charge Notices to any vehicle parked in a suspended bay. If you notice an unauthorised vehicle parked in the bay, please call our parking enforcement team our hotline on 01727 845 283.
- We do not supply traffic cones or barriers to assist with closing the suspended bays and would advise applicants to supply their own where possible.
- An on-street space is normally 5 metres long. Where there are no individual parking bays I.E. one long elongated bay, the cost will be calculated for every 5.5 metres (5500mm).
- Amendments can be made through your account, and these may incur additional fees. If you need to make a change to a suspension sign already on street, you will need to make the amendment at least 4 days prior to the suspension starting. Any change request made after 3pm will be considered the next working day.
- If the suspension needs to be extended, the request and payment of the extension must be made at least 4 working days before the current suspension ends.
- St Albans District Council reserves the right to amend or cancel a suspension at any time. If we need to do this, we will endeavour to inform you as soon as possible from the contact details you provide.
- The administration fee is non-refundable.
- Any other refund request will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The Council reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions, application procedures and the relevant Traffic Regulation Orders at any time.