Senior Citizens Parking Permits for Car Parks
Senior Citizens Car Park Permit
A Senior Citizens Parking Permit is available to residents of St Albans City and District who are over the age of 66.
The permit will allow the user to park in any of the listed St Albans City and District Council managed Car Parks for a period of 2 hours without further payment. This time period can be extended by purchasing parking time in the normal way at the relevant Car Park at the time of parking.
The cost of the permit is £40 per annum (year)
By applying for a permit, you agree to the Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions below.
To apply for a permit you will need to create a Customer Account for a Resident , if you have not already done so. This is only required the first time you apply. Any additional permit applications can be made from your account going forward, including renewals. If you need assistance on creating an account, please follow our video guide.
Terms and Conditions (Senior Citizen Permit) Toggle accordion
Qualification – To qualify for a Senior Citizens Parking Permit you must:
- Be either registered as a St Albans District Council Taxpayer or registered to vote in the district.
- Be aged over 66.
- The registered owner of the vehicle must be 66-year-old or over.
- Permits can only be issued to a vehicle up to 5.25m in length and 2.28m in height and a maximum of 8 seats. If a permit is issued and the vehicle is found to exceed these specifications, the permit will be withdrawn.
- Purchasing this permit does not guarantee you a space at a car park.
Application Criteria – Proof
You must provide proof of your age. You will be able to scan your proofs (or take a photo of them) as part of this application and upload them to your online account. The following documents will be acceptable and must be in name of applicant):
- Driving Licence
- Department Works Pensions - Pension Letter dated within last 12 months.
- Copy of vehicle registration document.
Permits are not valid until your eligibility has been approved.
Senior Citizens Permit Conditions of Use
- Permits allow up to 2 hours free parking at all St Albans and District Council car parks. A full list of car parks can be found at https://www.stalbans.gov.uk/car-parks-and-street-pay-and-display.
- Permits can only be used once per day.
- When parking at surface car parks (excluding Drovers and Russell) the permit must be displayed alongside the clock. It is the accounts holder’s responsibility to ensure the permit and clock are correctly displayed.
- At Drovers and Russell car parks, the account/permit holder must validate their ticket before leaving.
- The account/permit holder be present to validate the ticket.
- The vehicle must be parked within the confines of the parking space.
- Permits are not transferable and can only be used by the registered account holder.
- A parking permit does not entitle the holder to park in a suspended bay.
- The permit is only valid for the vehicle registered on the account. You can include two registration numbers but, only one vehicle may be used at any one time.
- It is the responsibility of the account holder to ensure the virtual permit is assigned to the correct vehicle.
- The Council reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions, application procedures and the relevant Traffic Regulation Orders at any time.
- Permits are valid for a 12-month period and will need to be renewed by the permit holder
each year by logging into their online permit account. Whilst every effort will be made to
send reminder emails to the account holder prior to expiry date, it is the permit holder’s responsibility to renew.
- Permit prices are reviewed annually.
- Permits are the property of the Council and can be cancelled at any time. Reasons why the Council may cancel a permit include:
- The Permit Holder has ceased to be eligible under these terms and conditions or the relevant Traffic Regulation Order.
- Any other reason the Council deems is misuse or detrimental to the Permit Parking scheme.
- By applying for or purchasing any type of permit, the applicant:
- certifies that all the information that the applicant has given in the application process is correct.
- accepts the Council’s terms and conditions as varied from time to time together with any terms and conditions stated on the letter to which the permit is attached at the time of issue.
- agrees to be bound by and comply with the relevant Traffic Regulation Orders which may be varied from time to time.
- Permit holders are required to move their vehicle if requested to do so by a Civil Enforcement Officer, Car Park Officer or by the Police.
- Not complying with the terms and conditions may result in the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).
Change of vehicle - When you change your vehicle you should immediately register your new vehicle on your account. Your permit is only valid on the vehicle which matches the registration number registered on your online account.
Refunds - If you no longer require your virtual permit you may apply for a refund. Please visit your online account and select the option cancel permit. An administration fee of £13.20 will be deducted per virtual permit cancelled. Refunds are calculated on how many full calendar months remain on your virtual permit. No refunds will be given where the amount owing is the same as or less than the administration fee.
List of Car Parks for use of Permit Toggle accordion
St Albans Car Parks
- Adelaide Street Surface Car Park (AL3 5BH)
- Bricket Road North Surface Car Park (AL1 3JT)
- Civic Centre Multi-Storey Car Park (AL1 3JS)
- Clarence Park Surface Car Park (AL1 4NF)
- Drovers Way Multi-Storey Car Park (AL3 5EB)
- Gombards Surface Car Park (AL3 5EN)
- Keyfield Terrace Surface Car Park (AL1 1PD)
- London Road Surface Car Park (AL1 1NG)
- Russell Avenue Multi-Storey Car Park (AL3 5EB)
- Townsend Avenue Surface Car Park (AL1 3HA)
- Verulamium Surface Car Park (AL3 4SW)
- Westminster Lodge Car Park (AL1 2DJ)
Harpenden Car Parks
- Amenbury Lane (AL5 2HU)
- Bowers Way East Car Park (AL5 4EQ)
- Bowers Way West Car Park Upper and Lower (Sainsbury) (AL5 4EW)
- Lydekker Car Park (AL5 4JE)