Skip to main content
Text size

Street Trading Consents

Street Trading Consents

What do we do?

  • ensure street trading activities are properly licensed

  • deal with unlicensed street traders

Street Trading

Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street; this includes food, such as artisan bread or a creperie, flowers, arts and crafts etc.

Food traders must be registered with their local Environmental Health Office.

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under a licence issued by the Police

  • A market trader operating at a licensed market

  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals (other matters are taken into consideration such as stalls /receptacles which could result in an exemption not applying)

The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Council's Planning Office by email at

Illegal Street Trading Toggle accordion

Anyone wishing to trade in streets under the control of St Albans District Council must obtain a Street Trading Consent.

Anyone found trading in designated consent streets without first obtaining a street trading consent will be committing an offence punishable on conviction by a fine. The term street includes any road, footway or other area to which the public have free access without payment, and also a service area. It also includes part of a street. Some streets are prohibited.

Street Trading Policy Toggle accordion

Detailed information regarding the following matters is available in the Street Trading Policy below:

  1. What is not deemed to be street trading
  2. The definition of “street” ,“consent street” and “prohibited street”
  3. A list of the prohibited streets
  4. The consultation period and who we consult with on applications
  5. Details of the different types of consents (static/mobile)
  6. How long the consent lasts and a list of fees

Related Documents Toggle accordion

Related documents are found below:

Public Register Toggle accordion

Please visit the Public Register Of Licences And Registrations

If you are unable to find the information you are looking for on the public register please send your request to

Contact Details
Licensing Service

St Albans City & District Council, Civic Centre, St Peter's St, St Albans AL1 3JE
Tel: 01727 819264