COVID-19 Business Grants
Financial support for businesses that are legally required to close
Businesses that were legally required to close in England due to national or local restrictions restrictions up to 31st March 2021 are eligible for this funding. The application process for the period from 5th November to 15th February ended on 31st March 2021. It is no longer possible to claim the grant for this period.
16th February to 31st March 2021 only - applications are open until 31st May 2021 via the link below.
1st April 2021 onwards: 'Restart Grants'
The Government have recently announced further financial support for businesses from April 2021 to help them to re-open safely. These non-repayable grants are entitled 'restart grants' and replace the previous Local Restrictions Support Grant (LRSG) schemes.
Non-essential retail premises (such as shops) that are rated for Business Rates can receive a one-off payment of up to £6,000 as described below.
- Business with a Rateable Value of £15k or under as at the 1st of April 2021 will receive a one-off payment of £2,667.
- Business with a Rateable Value between £15K and £51K as at the 1st of April 2021 will receive a one-off payment of £4,000.
- Business with a Rateable Value of £51K or over as at the 1st of April 2021 will receive a one-off payment of £6,000.
Hospitality (such as pubs and restaurants), Accommodation, Leisure, Personal Care (such as hairdressers and beauticians) and Gym business premises that are rated for Business Rates can receive a one-off payment of up to £18,000 as described below.
- Business with a Rateable Value of £15k or under as at the 1st of April 2021 will receive a one-off payment of £8,000.
- Business with a Rateable Value between £15K and £51K as at the 1st of April 2021 will receive a one-off payment of £12,000.
- Business with a Rateable Value of £51K or over as at the 1st of April 2021 will receive a one-off payment of £18,000.
It will be necessary for business to apply for these grants, even if they have previously received grants from the Local Authority. An online application form will be available from this page in early April 2021. See our Business and Licensing page for updates.
St Albans City and District Council is committed to getting these payments to eligible businesses as quickly as possible. However, unlike previous grants schemes we are now required to carry out various anti-fraud checks prior to making payment. This may delay the process slightly and we would appreciate your patience and understanding.
Discretionary Support Grants - Local Restrictions (Open) Support and Additional Restrictions Grant schemes
***PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE CURRENTLY ASSESSING A LARGE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS. You do not need to reapply if you have already submitted an application. Supporting evidence and fraud checks are needed before grants can be paid.***
These grants are to cover the local and national restrictions between 5th November 2020 and 31st March 2021. Subject to funding, there may be a new scheme to cover 1st April onwards. Information on any new scheme will be added to this page.
In addition to the grant scheme for businesses that are legally required to close, there is potentially further discretionary support available to businesses via the Local Restrictions Support Grant (LRSG) Open and Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) schemes. The types of businesses which may qualify under these schemes include:
- Those which were obliged to close under lockdown but are not rated for business rates
- Those which are not required to close but who are severely impacted by National and/or Local Restrictions
- Business who have have already received or are entitled to support but who require further financial assistance
Please note that you only need to apply once as we will be able to calculate awards for all periods of restrictions based on the costs provided.
It will speed up assessment of your application if you provide evidence of your costs (lease/tenancy agreement, utility bills etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org soon as possible after submitting your application.
There are detailed explanatory notes on the form providing further detail about eligibility and potential grant awards.
'Christmas Support Payment' for 'Wet Led' Public Houses - APPLICATIONS CLOSED
Pubs which predominately serve alcohol rather than provide food were entitled to a one-off payment of £1,000 for December 2020. This payment is in addition to other support schemes or grants. The application process for this closed on 28th February 2021.
Please note - we have been made aware of a number of 'scams' in circulation relating to grants and other financial support. Please be careful if you receive a phone call or an e-mail requesting bank details or asking for other personal information. If you believe someone has claimed or received a grant they are not entitled to, please e-mail as much detail as possible to email@example.com