Skip to main content
Text size

Bulky items collections

In this section you can find out how you can dispose of larger household items that cannot be collected in your usual fortnightly waste collection. The bulky items collection service is for domestic properties only. 

What bulky items can we collect

We can collect up to three items - such as furniture and white goods - but not pianos. Individual items must weigh less than 100kg.  For some items, such as carpet or doors, we can only take one of each. For more than three items we can provide an estimate.

All waste arising from construction, demolition or excavation is classified as industrial waste and therefore such waste, with the exception of single items or very small quantities, will not normally be taken as part of this service. Such items include: sheds, fencing/posts, boilers/radiators, doors, bathroom/kitchen suites, soil, rubble etc.

A skip or certified private contractor should be hired for these materials. However, Household Waste Recycling Centres will accept a small quantity, ie: to fill the boot of a normal saloon car. Enquiries to Waste Aware Helpline on 0300 1234 051 or This service does not include the removal of asbestos or hazardous waste.

How much does the service cost

The service costs £55.15 (non-refundable) for up to three items. 

Where to leave items for collection

All items for collection must be placed outside the front of the property clearly visible from the kerbside, but within the boundary by 07:00 am. Fridges and freezers must be emptied prior to collection. 

Book a bulky waste collection

To book a bulky waste collection please call 01727 809019, you will need a valid debit or credit card to make a payment. Lines are open from 08:45 till 17:00, Monday to Friday.


Do you qualify for a concession collection? Toggle accordion

You can receive this service for a concession fee of £18.20 (non-refundable) If you are receiving the following benefits: 

  • Income support
  • Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support 
  • Job Seekers Allowance 
  • Working Tax Credit 
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit 
  • Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Incapacity Benefit 
  • Universal Credit 

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefits, you will need to provide your Benefit Reference Number. For any of the other benefits listed above, please provide a copy of a letter showing the benefit you receive. 

If you are in receipt of these benefits you will be entitled to one concession collection every four months. Any additional collections will be charged at the standard rate of £55.15.

Recycle or donate your items instead Toggle accordion

Many of the things we throw away haven’t always reached the end of their useful life. Something that you don’t want any more can still be used by someone else.


Donating your items to someone else or recycling them is always a better option than throwing them away. 

You can also take bulky household items to a local Household Waste & Recycling Centre

Local recycling centres