The Council may be able to help you if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. If you are worried that you may be evicted, or if you're currently homeless, then you will need to contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.

What to do if you're homeless or threatened with homelessness

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days, or if you are concerned about the stability of your accommodation and would like advice, then you can self-refer to the Housing Options Team using the self-referral link below

Housing Options Self Referral

You can also contact the Housing Options Team by emailing . They will be able to provide a basic level of advice over the phone, however you will still need to complete the self-referral tool if you wish to receive in-depth advice and assistance. 

If it is a housing emergency and outside of normal office hours, you will need to call the Out of Hours Emergency line 01727 811155

Public Bodies with a Duty to Refer Homelessness to a Local Authority

Public bodies have a duty to refer their clients to a local housing authority if they suspect they are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

For further details on which public bodies are included in the legislation, and what constitutes a referral, please here.

If you are a one of the specified public bodies, and would like to refer a household to St Albans, you can do so using our referral portal. 

Referral Portal

The applicant should be clear about what local authority they wish to approach, and must give permission to the public body to make the referral. 

What to do if you are...

Fleeing Domestic Abuse

16/17 years old and homeless or a Care Leaver

Rough Sleeping in St Albans

If you would like to volunteer or donate to help the homeless in this area then you can contact Open Door night shelter or Centre 33.

Open Door  Telephone: 01727 859113    email:

Centre 33                Telephone: 01727 830901    email:

A former member of the Armed Forces

Being released from Prison or a Youth Detention Centre

Leaving Hospital or struggling with mental illness

Being evicted from your current accommodation

Severe Weather Emergency Procedure

Over the winter months when it is very cold there may be special provisions in place for people rough sleeping.  It is possible to report a rough sleeper at any time of the year via the Streetlink website.  If you want further information on rough sleepers in the district please contact Open Door, 8 Bricket Road, St Albans, AL1 3JX, telephone 01727 859113.  

The Council work in partnership with Homeless Link to help tackle the issues of rough sleeping and homelessness. 

Date of last review: 24 January 2019