Skip to main content
Text size

Homeless or threatened with homelessness

The Council may be able to help you if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. If you are worried that you may be evicted, or if you're currently homeless, then contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.

How to contact the Housing Options Team

If you are homeless or if you’re likely to be evicted from your current home within 56 days then the Council can provide you with advice and assistance. If you would like help you will need to go to our dedicated Housing Options website, St Albans Home Choice, and apply as homeless.

Apply as homeless

Duty to Refer logo


What do I have to do on this website? Toggle accordion

You will need to register on the website if you have not done so already, and then you will be given the option to register as homeless. You will need a valid personal email address to do this. If you have already registered on the website to be on the Council’s Housing Register, then you do not need to register again. You can log in using your current information.

Once you confirm your email address, you will be redirected to a page where you have the options to ‘register as homeless’ or ‘register for social housing’.

You will need to select ‘register as homeless’. You will then be directed through a selection of questions. Once you have completed these, your referral will be sent through to the Housing Options Team who will contact you regarding your situation. 

The link isn’t working, how do I access the webpage? Toggle accordion

If the above link and Apply buttons aren’t working, you can go to and begin the application process. 

I don’t have a computer, what do I do? Toggle accordion

The above link is designed to work on smart phones, so if you’re reading this on a mobile, you can click on the link and it will work. Alternatively, the Council has some self-serve computers in its Civic Centre on St Peters Street. You can come and use these computers to make an application and also to set up your own email address if you don’t already have one.

How quickly will someone contact me? Toggle accordion

The Housing Options Team will contact you as soon as they can. They will primarily focus on trying to call you or email you. You will need to make sure that you provide contact information that the Housing Options Team can contact you on. If the team cannot get hold of you first time, they will continue to try to contact you for 5 working days, however if they cannot contact you they may close the application. 

What is a homeless application? Toggle accordion

A homeless application is a statutory function of the Council. All Councils are required to provide the opportunity to make a homeless application under law. If you would like further information on the process of a homeless application, you can find this on the Government website below.

Overview of Homeless Legislation

What help can the Council provide? Toggle accordion

The Housing Options Team will work with you to prevent you from becoming homeless. This will mean discussing your housing situation with whoever is excluding you to try and come to an agreement to prevent your eviction. If your eviction cannot be prevented, then the Team will work to help you into alternative accommodation. This will primarily be private rented accommodation, or if you don’t have dependent children, hostels and night shelters.

The Council does not fast track people into social housing through a homeless application; the focus is preventing a crisis. If you would like to access social housing, this information can be found on the Finding a Home web page. 

I can’t use a computer, what do I do? Toggle accordion

If you struggle with using computers, or if you or someone you’re representing has difficulty reading, we can help. Please contact the Customer Services team on 01727 819450 to make an appointment to help you complete the online form. 

I’m sleeping rough in St Albans, can you help me? Toggle accordion

Yes we can. You will still need to complete an application for assistance on St Albans Home Choice so that the Council have your information. The Council can look at starting a homeless application with you, and providing you with advice and assistance to get off the street and into safe accommodation.

The Council have a separate web page dedicated to giving advice to those who are sleeping rough.