Due to Government restrictions on movement we are currently only carrying out repairs and works which are an emergency, related to our statutory health and safety responsibilities and adaptations which facilitate hospital discharge thus reducing pressure upon the NHS
- Repairs because the property is in a dangerous condition
- Annual gas safety inspections
- Urgent small scale adaptations
When you call to report a repair you will be asked if you are currently self-isolating. This does not mean you will be denied a repair but staff will be able to take necessary precautions
Click below for the latest Covid-19 Tenants Housing Service Update Letter and Covid-19 Secure Standards document
Repairs and Improvements
Repairs to your council property can be reported 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in a variety of ways. Routine Repairs will be carried out within 28 working days of the repair being reported, emergency repairs will be completed within 24 hours. Keeping your home in a good condition is a shared responsibility between you and St Albans District Council.
Reporting a Repair
There are a number of ways to report a repair with our main contractors aiming to diagnose the underlying issue when you first contact them. We rely on you as our tenants to report any repairs within your home and also in communal areas of our estates
Via telephone by calling 01727 819256 you will be provided with the following 3 options to choose depending on the type of repair you are reporting;
- Gas or Central Heating enquiries
- TV Aerials & Intercom Door enquiries
- For all other housing repair enquiries
Via Email by contacting our contractors directly
Gas or central heating repairs GasAndHeatingRepairs@stalbans.gov.uk
All other housing repairs firstname.lastname@example.org
Is my Repair an Emergency?
The following repairs would be classed as an emergency and should be reported as soon as possible to enable the repair to be completed quickly. This includes Out of Hours emergencies.
- Total loss of power
- Dangerous electrical fitting
- Total or partial loss of electrical or gas heating (between 31st October and 1st May)
- Toilet not flushing when there is only one toilet in the property
- Water leak from a pipe, tank or cistern which cannot be contained
- Insecure front door or ground floor window
All other repairs would be deemed to be a routine repair and will be completed within 28 working days. Please consult the housing repairs hand book for further information regarding routine repairs.
Am I responsible for my Repair?
Some repairs are deemed to reside as residents responsibilities and would not be maintained by St Albans District Council. Please consult the repairs handbook for a list of repairs deemed residents responsibility.
Our contractors may attend your property for a repair and deem that the cause is not wear and tear and that the repair is rechargeable. Where a rechargeable repair is identified by one of our contractors you will be required to follow our rechargeable repair policy. For more information please consult the repairs handbook.
Alterations to your Home
Before you carry out any alterations or improvements to your home you must consult with the council. Many Council houses contain asbestos which is safe if it is undisturbed.
If you would like to make alterations to your home you must get written permission from the housing department and in some instances a surveyor’s visit may be required. If you do not have permission for an alteration there will be a £150 charge for retrospective permissions to be obtained.
When applying for permission you will be required to submit all information in writing Via your MyStAlbans account.
For further information please consult the resident’s handbook.
Useful Emergency Numbers
In the even of an emergency not relating to repairs the following numbers may be of use:
- Emergency services can be contacted on 999 (non-emergency matters on 101)
- To check on a power cut in your area call UK power networks 0800 31 63 105 or online at https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/
- To report a wastage of water call affinity water 0800 376 5325 or online at https://myonlineaccount.affinitywater.co.uk/ReportaLeak/Index
- To report a gas leak call Cadent 0800 111 999