Skip to main content
Text size

Housing Repairs


When you call to report a repair you will be asked if you are currently self-isolating. This does not mean you will be denied a repair but staff will be able to take necessary precautions. Please be assured we are working hard to answer all enquiries as quickly as possible and we are working as fast as we can to schedule the additional repairs that were logged during the pandemic alongside new repairs. We understand your frustrations and appreciate your patience in the meantime.

When you call to report a repair you will be asked if you are currently self-isolating. This does not mean you will be denied a repair but staff will be able to take necessary precautions

Click below for the latest Covid-19 Tenants Housing Service Update Letter and Covid-19 Secure Standards document

How to Report A Repair Toggle accordion

How to Report A Repair?

There are a number of ways a repair can be reported:

Telephone - Calling 01727 819256

Option 1 – Heating Repair Issues

Option 2 – Communal Repairs

Option 3 – All Other Housing Repairs Issues


You can report repairs via your online MyStalbans account


Gas and Heating Repairs

All other Housing Repairs

When Can I Report A Repair? Toggle accordion

Reporting Your Repair

Repairs can be reported 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in a variety of ways these are explained below. 

Emergency repairs will be made safe or completed within 24 hours, with routine Repairs being carried out within 28 working days of the repair being reported For further information please refer to your Housing Repairs Handbook.

Is My Repair An Emergency? Toggle accordion

Emergency Repairs

The following repairs would be classed as an emergency and should be reported as soon as possible to enable the repair to be completed quickly. This includes Out of Hours emergencies.

  • Total loss of power
  • Dangerous electrical fitting
  • Total or partial loss of electrical or gas heating (between 31st October and 1st May)
  • Toilet not flushing when there is only one toilet in the property
  • Water leak from a pipe, tank or cistern which cannot be contained 
  • Insecure front door or ground floor window 

All other repairs would be deemed to be a routine repair and will be completed within 28 working days. Please consult the housing repairs hand book for further information regarding routine repairs.

Housing Repairs Handbook 2021.pdf

Tenants Repair Responsibity Toggle accordion

Am I responsible for my Repair?

Some repairs are deemed to reside as residents responsibilities and would not be maintained by St Albans District Council. Please consult the repairs handbook for a list of repairs deemed residents responsibility.

Our contractors may attend your property for a repair and deem that the cause is not wear and tear and that the repair is rechargeable. Where a rechargeable repair is identified by one of our contractors you will be required to follow our rechargeable repair policy. For more information please consult the repairs  handbook.

Housing Repairs Handbook 2021.pdf

Home Improvements Toggle accordion

Home Improvements

Before you carry out any alterations or improvements to your home you must consult with the council. Many Council houses contain asbestos which is safe if it is undisturbed.

If you would like to make alterations to your home you must get written permission from the housing department and in some instances a surveyor’s visit may be required. If you do not have permission for an alteration there will be a £150 charge for retrospective permissions to be obtained. 

When applying for permission you will be required to submit all information in writing Via your MyStAlbans account.

Apply for alterations

For further information please consult the resident’s handbook.

Housing Repairs Handbook 2021.pdf

Working For Our Partners Toggle accordion

Our partners Morgan Sindall Property Services are actively looking for applicants for their Handy Person role, for more details and application form details are within the link below;

If applying externally from the above link, please use Job Reference 74814

Useful Emergency Numbers

Thames Valley Water Ltd - 0800 714 614  - Leak Line or 0800 316 9800 if Sewer Related 

Affinity Water - 0345 357 2407 - 24 Hour Line (local rate)

National Grid (Gas) - 0800 111999

UK Power Network - 0800 31 63 105 (Calls from this service are free of charge from a landline)

Calls to 0800 freephone numbers may not be free from some mobile phones, so please check with your provider