Skip to main content
Text size

Absence from your property

Under the terms of your tenancy agreement, you must notify us if you will be away from your property for 3 months or longer.  If you do not let us know, we may believe you have abandoned the property and start legal action for possession of your property.

Under the Housing Act 1985 it is a requirement that you live in the property as your only or principal home. This means that you must stay at your property for most of the time. For example if you stay at a partner’s house for six nights per week and only one night at your property, you may be in breach of this requirement.

How can I notify the Council of a temporary absence from my home?

Via your MyStAlbans account