Park homes and caravan sites
The Council's Private Sector Housing Team is responsible for the licensing of caravan and park home sites and for ensuring the conditions of the site licence are adhered to.
We have a duty to issue licences to all caravan sites within the district, providing the applicant has valid planning permission. The Private Sector Housing Team encourages good standards in park homes caravan sites and responds to complaints about unsatisfactory caravans and sites.
Land being used as a caravan site requires a Caravan Site Licence (but there are some limited exceptions).
Applying for a licence Toggle accordion
If you think you need to apply for a site licence you should approach the Private Sector Housing Team to discuss your site and arrange for an advisory visit. (Contact details for the team are located at the bottom of this page).
You should only submit an application once you have planning permission to use the land as a caravan site. Further information regarding planning permission can be found on the Council’s Planning Department webpages.
A licence application will need to include a lay-out plan of the site to a scale of not less than 1/500. The plan should clearly show:
- all boundaries of the site;
- the position of the caravans;
- any roads and footpaths;
- any foul and surface water drainage;
- any recreational spaces;
- any parking spaces;
- any toilet blocks, stores and other buildings
- any water points and any fire points.
Once the Council has received your application the site will be inspected and the licence issued.
The licence will have conditions attached. These will include:
- The type of caravan, e.g. residential, static holiday or touring;
- The permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans;
- Water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities;
- Fire precautions and electrical installations;
- Roads, footpaths, hard standings and parking standards;
- Administrative requirements.
Conditions will be based on the Model Standards 2008 for Caravan Sites.
Fit and proper person test and register of Fit and Proper Persons Toggle accordion
The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020 ("the Regulations") introduced a fit and proper person test for mobile home site owners or the person appointed to manage the site, unless exempted by the Regulations.
What does this mean for site owners?
From 1 October 2021, unless the site is exempt, the site owner must:
- be a fit and proper person to lawfully operate a park home site, or
- have a fit and proper site manager in place
What must a site owner do?
Apply for registration
Site owners operating a relevant protected site must apply for the relevant person (themselves or their appointed manager) to be included in the local register of fit and proper persons to manage a site. A site owner may only apply if they hold or have applied for a site licence for the site.
The application form is at the bottom of this section.
The applicant seeking entry on the register will need a basic DBS certificate (dated no more than 6 months before the date of the application) and this must be included with the application. The DBS certificate must be from an approved supplier.
Information about how to arrange a DBS check can be found on the Government's website
The cost of an application for inclusion on the register is £175. A copy of our fees policy is available at the bottom of this section.
A site is exempt if it's "a non-commercial family occupied site". This is one:
- only occupied by members of the same family, and
- not being run on a commercial basis
The regulations provide further details about this exemption, see The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020 for more information.
What we'll consider
To be satisfied that the relevant person is a fit and proper person to manage the site, and to add them to the register, we'll consider:
- past compliance with the site licence
- the long term maintenance of the site
- whether the relevant person has sufficient level of competence to manage the site
- the management structure and funding arrangements for the site or proposed management structure and funding arrangements
We'll also consider whether the relevant person:
- has the right to work within the UK
- has committed any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty, violence, arson or drugs or listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (offences attracting notification requirements)
- has contravened any provision of the law relating to housing, caravan sites, mobile homes, public health, planning or environmental health or of landlord and tenant law
- has contravened any provision of the Equality Act 2010 in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business
- has harassed any person in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business
- has had an application rejected by any other local authority
- is, or has been within the past 10 years, personally insolvent
- is, or has been within the last 10 years, disqualified from acting as a company director
We also may consider the conduct of any person associated or formerly associated with the relevant person (whether on a personal, work or other basis), if it appears that person's conduct is relevant.
We can also consider any evidence on any other relevant matters.
A copy of our determination policy is available at the bottom of this section.
Licensing and Annual Inspection Fees Toggle accordion
Once the Council have issued a licence the site will be inspected annually.
The Council charges a fee for the licensing and subsequent inspection of sites. The fees are detailed on the following table.
Private Caravan Site and Mobile Home Park Licensing Fees 2022-23
The Issue of a New Licence:
Small Sites 1 – 9 units
Medium Sites 10 – 29 units
Large Sites 30+ units
The Annual Site Licensing Inspection Fee:
Small Sites 1 – 9 units
Medium Sites 10 – 29 units
Large Sites 30+ units
Transfer of a licence
Variations (Changing conditions on licence at Council’s request)
Variations (Changing conditions on the licence at the site licence holder’s request)
Acceptance and deposit of site licence rules
Full details of Council’s fees and charges can be found here
Council Owned Mobile Home Sites Toggle accordion
St Albans City and District Council own 4 park home sites providing low cost home ownership.
These are at
Drakes Drive, St Albans
Meadow Close, Bricket Wood
Park Homes, London Colney (For couples and single people aged over 40)
Woodvale Park, St Albans (For couples and single people aged over 50)
All park homes
Are owner occupied
Have a written agreement and site rules
Can be purchased through local estate agents or privately
For information on how to purchase or sell a mobile home visit the GOV.UK website. We recommend you use a solicitor for any purchase or sale.
Please note, homes must be occupied by the owner, they are not allowed to be rented out.
Vacant plots to be re-let are rare. When available they are advertised locally.
To obtain independent advice on park homes visit The Leasehold Advisory Service at www.lease-advice.org
Complaints about Park Home and Caravan Sites
If the Private Sector Housing Team receives complaints about a site we will investigate. Contact details for the team are available at the bottom of this page.
Register of Licensed Mobile Home Sites Toggle accordion
|Site address||Licence holder||Max No. of Homes||Date granted|
|Ardens Rise, House Lane, St Albans, AL4 9HE||Mr Michael Connors||6||05/11/2018|
|Kingsheath Park, Bower Heath Lane, Harpenden, AL5 5EF||Butcher Parks Ltd||16||25/03/2022|
|1 Vicarage Meadow, Frogmore, Park Street, AL2 2JU||St Albans Diocesan Board of Finance||1||30/03/2010|
|Frogmore Homes Park, Frogmore, St Albans, AL2 2LN||Frogmore Park Homes Ltd||56||20/09/1999|
|Tullochside, Hemel Hempstead Road, Redbourn, AL3 7AJ||Mr Ned Stanley||20||08/10/2013|
|1, The Paddocks, Colney Heath Lane, St Albans, AL4 0RT||Mr Thomas Murphy||3||05/10/2010|
|Plot 2, The Paddocks, Colney Heath Lane, St Albans, AL4 0RT||Mr & Mrs Brazil||1||11/05/2000|
|Plot 3, The Paddocks, Colney Heath Lane, St Albans, AL4 0RT||Mrs Shirley Stanley||1||19/09/2017|
|Plot 4, The Paddocks, Colney Heath Lane, St Albans, AL4 0RT||Mrs Shirley Stanley||1||19/09/2017|
|Plot 5, The Paddocks, Colney Heath Lane, St Albans, AL4 0RT||Mr Nelson Smith||2||20/12/1999|
|Plot 6, The Paddocks, Colney Heath Lane, St Albans, AL4 0RT||Mr Nelson Smith||1||11/05/2000|