Skip to main content
Text size

Ending a tenancy

Due to the current Covid 19 outbreak, we have changed our procedures for the foreseeable future to help keep everyone as safe as possible.  Please see the amended instructions for terminating a tenancy at this time.

What to do first Toggle accordion

You must notify us in writing of your intention to end your tenancy, providing your forwarding address details. The simplest way to do this is by completing a termination notice at the bottom of this section.

Our offices are currently closed, and we are unable to accept keys or termination forms at the office, either by post or hand delivery.  Please complete the termination form and return to as soon as you are able.


Provided you have given consent, we will dispose of all items left in the property, shed, storage or garage, as part of our void process.  There will not be a charge for the disposal of items left during the current climate.

If you need to reach out to us for support, you can also use your MyStAlbans Account.

Contact us

How do I return the keys and termination form? Toggle accordion

We are able to terminate the tenancy as soon as we receive confirmation of the following, which are included within the termination form:

  • All keys, including meter keys/cards/shed/storage or garage, have been left in the top kitchen drawer.
  • Where the door does not self-lock upon closing, please place one front door key in an envelope and post through the letterbox after you have secured the property.
  • You have no intention to return to the property. 
  • You have removed all personal items or items that you wish to retain from the property, shed and any garage.
  • You give consent for St Albans City and District Council to dispose of all other items left in the property, shed, storage or any garage.
  • We will accept either an electronic signature or signed photograph of the termination form.
  • You have completed and returned a termination form, please email this to:

We appreciate it can take time to obtain a death certificate at the current time and would request this is forwarded on as soon as you are in receipt of one.

If you need to reach out to us for support, you can also use your MyStAlbans Account.

Contact us

Rent Payments Toggle accordion

You should ensure the rent account is clear at the time you return the keys and termination form, if this is not possible then contact the housing income team. either in full or by an agreed repayment plan.

Pay Online

If you are in receipt of housing benefit, you will need to complete a change of circumstances form to ensure your payments continue at your new address. Please download the form, complete and return at the same time as your keys and termination form.

Report a change in circumstance

If you are in receipt of the housing element of Universal Credit, you will need to notify the Department of Work and Pensions via your on-line journal.  Our housing benefit team will be able to advise you of how this may affect your housing payments on your old and new property. 

You can contact housing benefit for any queries.

Contact us

Transferring from a council property to another Toggle accordion

You will need to make sure that your property is in a good state of repair and that any damage to the property is repaired. The property should be left clean and clear, with any rubbish or other belongings being removed.  You will be recharged for any damage or clearance.

Depending upon the condition of the property, you may be eligible for the Tenants Incentive Scheme Bonus. 
The keys to your property should be returned to the Council offices on the Monday your new tenancy starts. This also applies to the keys for retirement housing schemes, which should not be left with the warden.

You should ensure that all keys are returned to the Council, even those you have had cut yourself.

Keys received after mid-day Monday will result in you being charged costs equivalent to the weekly rent. Once the keys have been returned to the Council, you will no longer have access to the property for any reason.

Contact us

What if the tenant has died and there is no legal successor? Toggle accordion

You can notify us by using the Tell us Once Service

Tell Us Once

The Next of Kin or Executor of the Estate for the tenant will be responsible for completing the termination form and clearing the property.

If there is an existing MyStAlbans account and you have access to this, you could notify us via this system.

A copy of the death certificate should be returned with the completed termination form.

Any assistance the tenant had to help pay the rent, such as housing benefit or the housing element of universal credit, stops after death. If there are any rent arrears they can be cleared with funds from the tenants estate. If there is no estate then the arrears can be written off.

We will allow a 2 week period to allow for the property to be cleared, the termination form completed and all keys returned and we will not charge rent for this period.

We will apply a “use and occupation charge” after two weeks and this will be charged to the Executor or Next of Kin. Due to housing benefit and universal credit adjustments, the final balance may take a few weeks before it is available to you.

Who else do I need to contact? Toggle accordion

You will also need to contact the following:

  • Utility suppliers

  • Affinity Water

  • Council Tax

  • Housing Benefit (if applicable

  • Department of Work & Pensions for any benefits (If applicable)

  • Bank(s)

  • Telephone provider

  • Any insurance provider

  • DVLA

  • Television licence

  • Post office to redirect any mail

  • Cancel milk and newspapers (if these are delivered)


Please use the following checklist to help you complete this as easily as possible