Skip to main content
Text size

Severe mental impairment and disabled band reductions

If a person has a severe and permanent mental impairment they may be disregarded for Council Tax purposes. The phrase 'severe mental impairment' covers a range of illnesses and conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer's, severe learning difficulties, or if they have suffered a stroke.

To be eligible both of the following conditions must apply:

  • They have been certified by a medical practitioner as having an impairment of intelligence and social functioning which is expected to be permanent.
  • They are entitled to receive one of the following state benefits:
    • Attendance allowance
    • Severe disablement allowance
    • Disability living allowance (higher or middle-rate care component)
    • Increase in disablement pension (due to constant attendance being needed)
    • Unemployability supplement or allowance
    • Constant attendance allowance
    • Income support (which includes a disability premium)
    • Personal independence payment (standard or enhanced daily living component)
    • Armed forces independence payment
    • Disability working allowance
    • Universal credit (including an element for limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work-related activity)

You can apply for this reduction on behalf of someone by downloading the application form here.

If you are disabled, or have someone who is disabled living with you, you may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax if you live in a larger property than you would need if you or another occupant were not disabled.

You’ll have to show that you’ve either:

  • an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person
  • extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

To apply for this reduction, please download an application form here. We may need to visit your property in order to consider your application.