Skip to main content
Text size

Difficulty paying

If you feel your Council Tax installments are too high you can spread them over 12 months rather than the usual 10. To request this please If you wish to pay your bill over 12 months please e-mail your name, address and Council Tax Account number to

If you pay your bill by direct debit you can also spread your bill over 12 instalments via your MyStalbans Account. Please visit for more details.

If you or your partner are on a low income you may be able to claim Council Tax Support to reduce the Council Tax you pay. Council Tax Support is based on your financial circumstances. This is not the same as a Council Tax Discount which you may be entitled to if, for example, you live at a property on your own.

How much Council Tax Support you might get depends on your income and savings. You will not normally get Council Tax Support if you or your partner have savings of more than £16,000 (unless you also get Guaranteed Pension Credit or you are only claiming Second Adult Rebate – see below).

You might be able to get help if:

  • You get a state benefit such as Universal Credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Pension Credit, or you are disabled and have a low income.

  • You work part-time or full time but are on a low wage or you pay child care costs.

  • There is someone else living in your house who is not your partner and who is on a low income or in receipt of State Benefits. This is called ‘Second Adult Rebate’.

  • Council Tax Support normally only starts from the Monday after you make a claim, so it is important you claim straight away if you think you might be entitled.

To found out whether you might be entitled to help, please click here.

To make a claim for Council Tax Support, please click here.

If you are suffering hardship and have exceptional or unusual circumstances we may be able to reduce the Council Tax you are expected to pay through a Discretionary Discount award, which is sometimes called a Section 13A award.

Our discretionary award policy, which lists the sort of things we take into account when considering an award, is available here.

To request a Discretionary Discount, please download the application form here.

Independent Advice on Benefits, Debt and Budgeting is available from