Skip to main content
Text size

Do I need planning permission?

How to find out if you need planning and building regulations consent for many common building works.

Do I need consent?

To find out if you need consent, there are a number of options available to you, including:

Apply to us

For a fee, you can ask us if your building works require planning permission. We cannot tell you over the phone. The way to ask is through an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness. This process takes around 8 weeks.

What are permitted development rights? Toggle accordion

If you live in a house, in many cases you can carry out minor works without the need to apply for planning permission. These are known as ‘permitted development’ rights. They do not apply to flats or maisonettes.

How will I know if permitted development rights have been removed from my house? Toggle accordion

Always check the planning history of your property before undertaking any works. Permitted development rights might have been removed on the original planning permission for your house. These rights will also be affected if the property has already been extended. 

This information should be with your deeds. If not, you can check the planning history and any decisions that relate to your property by using our District Mapping Service.

Permitted development rights can change depending on where you live. If you live in an Article 4 Direction Area, such as Fishpool Street, most of your permitted development rights will have been removed. 

Alternatively, if you live in a relatively new property, such as the Napsbury, Jersey Farm or Hill End/Cell Barnes Lane developments, permitted development rights may have been removed by a planning condition. 

Permitted development limits will also be different if your house is a listed building or you live in a conservation area.

What other consents do I need? Toggle accordion