Skip to main content
Text size

Self-build and custom housebuilding

From 1 April 2016 Councils are required by the Government to maintain a Self-build and Custom Housebuilding  Register. This is a register of individuals or associations of individuals who are seeking to purchase a serviced plot of land upon which to build a house to live in. 

The purpose of the Register is to record the level of demand for this type of house building. 
Headline data gathered from the Register will be published annually in our Authority’s Monitoring Report. 

If you would like to be entered on the register, please fill in the appropriate form below. This will not guarantee the availability of a plot. 

Application for entry on the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register

Applicants must meet all of the eligibility criteria for entry on the register.

Eligibility Criteria

Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or older;
  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

Applicants who wish to register as an association must appoint a member or officer to act as the lead contact for the purposes of correspondence between the association and St Albans City and District Council.


If you are applying as an individual please fill in form A

Form A

If you are applying as an association of individuals please fill in in form B

Form B

Please only fill in either A or B, not both